Scientist, Analytical Sciences - Gene Therapy
Imagine… 2 weeks after the birth of your child you realize they aren't meeting critical developmental milestones and after months of doctor's appointments you are told your baby has a rare neurological disease that would impact how they would live their lives. This is the reality of parents whose children have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and it's the reason why we at Novartis Gene Therapies are laser focused on bringing hope and possibility to those devastated by rare genetic diseases.
The Scientist I, Analytical Sciences - Gene Therapy, supports early-stage recombinant adenovirus-associated virus (rAAV) gene therapy pipeline portfolio.
- Develops, optimizes, and performs highly sensitive and reproducible PCR based assays such as ddPCR, qPCR, RT-qPCR for genomic titer, residual DNA as required to enable progression of AAV early pipeline development projects in timely fashion.
- Develops and optimizes methods for extraction of DNA, RNA and proteins followed by analysis using various molecular biology techniques such as PCR, Immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, ELISA and Western blotting to support characterization of novel AAV gene therapy vectors and cell line development.
- Performs cell-based assays (mammalian cell lines, primary cell culture, iPSCs, etc.) as needed for molecular screening and function assessment of gene therapy prototypes.
- Supports or contributes to development or optimization of new analytical methods for characterization of AAV gene therapy drug products and drug substances.
- Present experimental designs and results to various audiences at program meetings and department meetings.
- Maintains electronic laboratory notebook that records all aspects of experimental design and results, following good documentation practices.
- Critical thinking, excellent data analysis using software's such as Microsoft Excel, JMP, Prism, R scripts and other software's as needed with minimal supervision and interpretation skills.
- Other relates duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's in Analytical Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Virology, or a related field with 4 years' relevant experience or Master's with 2 years relevant experience or PHD with 1 years relevant experience.
- Extensive experience in molecular biology and analytical chemistry.
- Passionate about new technologies/methods to assess the quality of research vectors, including characterization and release assays for early pipeline development projects.
- Strong hands-on experiences on analytical techniques such as RT-PCR, qPCR, ddPCR, Immunoassays such as ELISA, SDS-PAGE, flow cytometer and Western blot.
- Highly organized, attentive to detail, and able to work under tight timelines in a collaborative team setting.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot and think critically, multitask and support multiple projects simultaneously.
- Quick learner, highly motivated, hard-working and detail oriented.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Need help finding the right job?We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.