Clinical Laboratory Associate, Pre-Analytical Laboratory (Contract to Hire)
FREENOME IS SEEKING A CLINICAL LABORATORY ASSOCIATE, PRE-ANALYTICAL LABORATORY (Contract to Hire)
About the Role
Freenome is a biotechnology company pioneering the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection. We are developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection by combining a deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers.
Our Discovery Platform will integrate these actionable insights into health systems operationalizing a machine learning feedback loop between care and science, ultimately delivering better outcomes to patients everywhere.
Freenome’s Clinical Laboratory Associate will support the company’s Pre-Analytical Laboratory with the receiving, accessioning, plasma sample processing, and storage. Important to our mission is providing quality samples to process downstream for quality analysis and results.
How you’ll contribute:
- Verifies all aspects of incoming specimens and assess acceptability for testing.
- Perform and enter information into the laboratory database.
- Prepare samples for testing by centrifuging and fractionation.
- Manually aliquot specimens and manage sample storage inventory.
- Execute automated protocols on the Hamiltons.
- Create sample batches and label tubes associated with each batches.
- Resolve and document incomplete or unacceptable specimens.
- Perform equipment maintenance according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures for the following but not limited to: Hamiltons, Biosafety Cabinets, centrifuges, freezers, refrigerators, and pipettes, as needed.
- Ensure on-time calibration of laboratory equipment is scheduled and performed.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment in the laboratory for performance of duties.
- Check and monitor temperature.
- Participate in cross-departmental projects.
- Assist with training of new laboratory personnel and training of new procedures with existing personnel.
- Assist with internal audits and inspection preparation, as needed.
- Assist with organizing and maintaining laboratory, equipment, personnel and training documents.
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Report all concerns of test quality and/or safety to the Supervisor or Safety Officer.
- Perform other miscellaneous laboratory duties as assigned and assist others as time allows.
- Provide support to the Clinical Laboratory Scientists including but not limited to creating sample batches, printing labels and label tubes and plates, preparing and aliquoting of reagents, and assisting with sample processing
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor of Arts in biological sciences or 2+ years of related field experience.
- Have working knowledge of local, state and federal laboratory regulations.
- High sample volume laboratory experience preferred
Nice to Have:
- Ability to analyze and solve basic issues.
- Ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and work as part of a team.
- Ability to multitask and be flexible with tasks and schedules.
- Ability to work with self-discipline, good judgment and independence.
- Computer skills and automation skills preferred.
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, and ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection and integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care and science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis and Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, and immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods and applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, and 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets and modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, and aging. The synthesis of Freenome’s datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, and intrepid mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection and early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, and trust in one another and we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues and of those we serve. We assume positive intent and give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering and supporting each other in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, and execute their own goals with ownership and in alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, and trust, and hold themselves and their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study and believe that hiring and mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome and provide constructive feedback and criticism, trusting in the good intentions of others, and being secure in the knowledge that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn and grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, and want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, there’s no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.