Director, Real World Evidence - Data Strategy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director, Real World Evidence (RWE) Data Strategy will be part of the RWE Data Strategy & Sourcing group within the Real-World Evidence Center of Expertise (RWE CoE) responsible for engaging with the RWE Analytics, HEOR-Strategy, Global Epidemiology, Global Medical Affairs, and other cross-functional teams to identify Real World Data (RWD) gaps and opportunities in relation to overarching strategic priorities and AbbVie therapeutic areas (TAs).
This includes maintaining awareness of industry trends for RWD, Big Data, and new research platforms that may facilitate innovative research and analytics opportunities for the AbbVie TAs. In addition, the role will be responsible for coordination of data assets to optimize the efficiency of data investments.
- Engage with cross-functional stakeholders and vendors in sourcing of RWD and evaluation through pilot and feasibility studies.
- Maintain knowledge of industry-leading RWD, Big Data innovations, and analytics methodologies with practical use cases across all TAs.
- Contribute to the RWE CoE data strategy by identifying innovative data sources in connection to enterprise data initiatives.
- Contribute to continuous improvement of the RWE CoE functional initiatives and change management by modeling desired behaviors to promote a culture of curiosity, innovation, and industry thought-leadership.
Qualifications and Experiences:
- PhD in Economics, Health Services, or related field. PharmD or MD will be considered if individual holds Master’s degree in Health Economics, Health Services, or related field.
- Extensive knowledge of IT infrastructure and analytics methods for structured and unstructured data (servers, databases, data lakes, etc.) is required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in SQL/SAS programming and working with open-source software (i.e., Hadoop/Hive) is required.
- Minimum of 5 years in the analysis of large multi-dimensional healthcare claims datasets with relevant pharmaceutical industry experience is required.
- Ability to independently perform exploratory analysis of new datasets through pilot and feasibility studies in support of strategic data acquisition decision-making.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the Convergence team and across other Enterprise initiatives to develop and maintain a comprehensive catalog of Enterprise datasets.
- Continuously monitor the evolving data landscape and identify gaps, making actionable recommendations for closure to relevant stakeholders.
- Strategic thinker with demonstrated ability to translate strategies into relevant and timely operational plans and deliverables.
- Executive presence and ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to stay abreast of external RWD / Big Data landscape and innovative use cases.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective cross-functional relationships with internal stakeholders and external customers for proactive problem-solving.
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity and strong desire for continuous learning and improvement.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.