Scientist I, Specialty Genomics Technologies
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
As part of the Specialty Genomics team within AbbVie’s Genomic Technologies (GTECH) organization, the Scientist I will conduct wet lab experiments and generate high quality biomarker and discovery data sets in support of pre-clinical and clinical molecular investigations. The Scientist I will utilize specialty genomic technologies and collaborate directly with Senior Scientists within the GRC as well as with project stakeholders across AbbVie’s research and development and clinical development organizations.
AbbVie’s Genomics Research Center (GRC) supports and drives genomics and genetics research across AbbVie R&D and Clinical Development. The core mission of the group is to apply genomics and genetics research to target discovery, target validation, translational research and the design and analysis of clinical trials. The Genomic Technologies (GTECH) group is the wet lab arm within the GRC and is responsible for generating high quality data genomic sets to drive results within the GRC and for collaborator project groups. GTECH supports a broad range of genomic profiling laboratory workflows along with biobanking and sample management. GTECH’s Specialty Genomics (SpG) team is primarily responsible for generating high quality biomarker and discovery data sets with high throughput and targeted technologies such as microarrays for genetic, transcriptomic, and epigenetic analysis and a broad range of qRT-PCR techniques. The SpG team additionally supports the GRCs dedication to establish and validate innovative technologies to assist in generating data sets that address complex research questions.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and independent contributor working with AbbVie Genomic Research Center (GRC) stakeholders and AbbVie therapeutic area (TA) scientists to meet the genomic profiling needs from active studies.
- Collaborate on experiment design, execution, and analysis to deliver high-quality genetic, transcriptomic, and epigenetic data sets in agreed upon timelines
- Execute high throughput workflows on robotic liquid handlers to produce genetic and transcriptomic data on platforms such as the Illumina Global Screening array and Applied BioSystems Clariom S arrays
- Work closely with Senior Scientists in Genomic Technologies to design and perform targeted genotyping and gene expression assays. Partner with bioinformatics specialists and disease area scientists to interpret results and design follow up experiments.
- Provide project and experiment consultation to project stakeholders
- Performs data quality control and first pass analysis of results.
- Effectively communicate with stakeholders, especially around experimental design, troubleshooting, and responding to
changes in priorities and adjusting timelines.
- Prepare written summaries of experimental results and presents data to small and large scientific meetings
- Accurately records experimental setup, processing, and data quality control notes
- Adhere to established laboratory SOPs and assists with development of novel SOPs
- Support innovative workflows
- Maintain wet lab instruments such as microarray and liquid handler platforms
Position will be offered according to level of experience
- BS degree in Genetics/genomics or related field with typically 5+ years of relevant experience or MS degree in Genetics/Genomics with typically 2+ years of relevant experience
- Theoretical knowledge including understanding of the core disciplines of genetics and genomics
- Demonstrated record of high proficiency across a wide range of relevant laboratory techniques and deep technical knowledge in field
- Experience with data generation of low and high throughput DNA profiling workflows such as but not limited to Pyrosequencing, fragment analysis, genotyping qPCR, GWAS and Epigenetic microarrays
- Experience working with low and high throughput RNA profiling workflows such as GeneChip cartridge and array plates, and HT qRT-PCR
- Experience with performing and maintaining workflows on automation platforms
- Experience with performing nucleic acid extractions and quality control analysis
- Experience with low and high throughout sample tracking and data management (LIMS)
- Self-motivated and works independently in a fast paced and fluid environment with high attention to detail
- Works well in multidisciplinary team environment
- Capacity to learn new methodologies/techniques quickly and drives innovation to improve workflows
- Effective and efficient communication
- Demonstrates experimental precision and strong data interpretation skills
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.