Scientist / Associate Scientist, Cancer Immunotherapy
Fate Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated scientist or associate scientist with expertise in immunology and immune cell therapy to join a multidisciplinary team dedicated to the discovery of novel cellular therapeutics for the treatment of cancer using cutting edge science. As part of a pioneering cancer immunotherapy team, you will assist in the development of novel targeted allogeneic iPSC-derived NK and T cell therapies for the treatment of hematological malignancies and in the development and characterization of candidate cellular therapies from proof of concept through to first in human clinical trials, with the possibility to develop independent lines of research. In addition to strong analytical and experimental design skills, in-depth knowledge of NK and/or T cell biology, proficiency with immunological-based approaches and techniques (both in-vitro and in-vivo), mammalian cell culture and biology, and familiarity with current cytometry, molecular biology, gene-editing, and protein engineering of lymphocytes are needed to be successful in this position. The candidate will join a dynamic and growing team reporting to a Senior Scientist in Cancer Immunotherapy and will be located at the Companys corporate headquarters and research facilities in San Diego, California.
- Design, execute, and interpret experiments to interrogate the functional attributes and underlying biology of candidate cell therapies
- Perform experiments to generate decision-making data for the advancement of novel cell therapy concepts and product candidates
- Differentiation, culture, and functional evaluation of iPSC-derived NK cells using defined research protocols
- Isolation and expansion of peripheral blood NK cells using defined research protocols
- Assessment of NK and T cell phenotypes using multi-parameter flow cytometry
- Assessment and analysis of iPSC-derived NK cell function using in vitro assays that measure proliferation, cytokine secretion, and target cell killing
- Analysis of gene expression data would be an advantage
- Critically evaluate and interpret datasets leading to go/no go decisions on candidate NK cell therapeutics
- Develop, compile, and present comprehensive datasets supporting program decision making by project, department, and executive teams.
- PhD degree in Immunology, Cell Biology or related fields with 0-2 years industry or postdoctoral experience in Immunology, Cell Biology, or related fields preferably in a mid- stage biotech, or pharmaceutical setting for Scientist candidates; MS degree and a minimum of 5 years experience for Associate Scientist candidates.
- In-depth experience with multi-parameter flow cytometry
- In-depth experience in mammalian cell culture
- In-depth experience in executing and developing assays for primary human NK or T cells
- In-depth experience in processing animal samples
- Experience with IncuCyte and/or xCELLigence platforms is a plus
- Experience with current molecular biology techniques for editing and engineering of T cells and NK cells is a plus
- Proven ability to coordinate with multiple researchers/research groups for scheduling and execution of complex experiments
- Excellent communication and organization skills are essential
- Positive outlook and a team-oriented attitude
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Will require working with cells and cell lines of human and/or animal origin
- Will require working with hazardous materials
- 100% on-site work at corporate headquarters in San Diego, CA
- Evening and weekend work as necessary
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. Additional and incidental duties related to the primary duties may be required.
About Fate Therapeutics, Inc.
Fate Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the development of first-in-class cellular immunotherapies for patients with cancer. The Company has established a leadership position in the clinical development and manufacture of universal, off-the-shelf cell products using its proprietary induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) product platform. The Company’s immuno-oncology pipeline includes off-the-shelf, iPSC-derived natural killer (NK) cell and T-cell product candidates, which are designed to synergize with well-established cancer therapies, including immune checkpoint inhibitors and monoclonal antibodies, and to target tumor-associated antigens using chimeric antigen receptors (CARs). Fate Therapeutics is headquartered in San Diego, CA. For more information, please visit www.fatetherapeutics.com.