Scientist, Engineering - Process Development
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Process Research and Development organization within AbbVie invents synthetic processes to prepare active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) to enable the development of AbbVie’s pipeline, and ultimately to provide commercial manufacturing processes.
In addition to working with small molecules, Process R&D also develops antibody drug conjugates (ADC). We create valuable intellectual property through composition of matter, chemical processes and technologies resulting in cost effective commercial manufacturing processes. We develop the supply chain for APIs, prepare and defend CMC (Chemistry, Manufacturing and Control) regulatory content.
AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated individual with a proven track record of accomplishment to join the API Pilot Plant Technical Operations (Tech Ops) group. This position will serve as a liaison between the Process Research and Development scientific functions and the API Pilot Plant organization. The successful candidate will assist in the optimization and scale-up of synthetic processes and facilitate the implementation of the processes and new technologies into the API Pilot Plant. The Scientist will also provide technical oversight during production campaigns and will support technical transfer to the ultimate commercial manufacturing site.
- Management of processes entering the API Pilot Plant, including scheduling, equipment selection, materials tracking, authoring direction sets, obtaining safety analyses, and executing pre-runs.
- Technical oversight of processes running in the API Pilot Plant, and responsibility for process-trouble shooting in collaboration with the project teams.
- Serves as primary point of contact between API Pilot Plant, project teams, Quality Assurance, and Environmental Health and Safety.
- Responsible for review and documentation of data for cGMP execution of chemical processes. Authors campaign summary reports.
- Identify, evaluate and implement new technologies for the pilot plant and/or identify opportunities to modify or leverage existing assets to enhance operational efficiency. Examples include automation, flow chemistry, novel separation, Process Analytical Technology (PAT) feedback control and drying technologies.
- Support the implementation of PAT. Assist with equipment specification, setup, data collection and analysis.
- Interface with project teams to ensure that processes are safe and operable.
- Partner with API development teams to optimize processes for scale-up. Identify appropriate equipment and configurations.
- Assist with technology transfer of late stage processes to commercial sites, including process fit, identification of equipment needs, and facility modifications. controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
*Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.*
- BS or MS in Chemical Engineering
- 3+(MS) or 5+(BS) years of relevant experience
- Understanding of cGMP, process safety requirements, and OSHA chemical hygiene plans.
- Working Knowledge of analytical techniques such as HPLC, GC, NMR, and microscopy
- Experience with laboratory experiments, process scale-up from lab to pilot plant and/or transferring a process from pilot plant to a commercial facility.
- Experience working in an API Plant environment. Familiarity with operation of chemical process equipment and systems.
- Strong technical background in chemical processing unit operations including reactions, crystallization, distillation, extraction, membrane separation, chromatography, centrifugation, filtration, drying and milling.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.