Senior Engineer, Upstream Process Development
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring new team members who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and who lead with the desire to work on novel ideas. As a Sr Engineer in Upstream Process Development, you will report to the Director of Process Development to lead upstream process development of one of our gene therapy programs through phase 1. You will mentor team members as the viral vector process development expert on our team and establish our novel viral vector manufacturing modality. Cool stuff.
What you'll do
- Develop robust and industrialized platforms and phase 1 processes for manufacturing novel viral vectors for gene therapies
- Use manufacturing experience to identify, optimize, and characterize process parameters Perform screening DoE studies to confirm the impact of process parameters on yield and product quality attributes
- Implement next-generation technology for manufacture of viral vectors
- Lead cross-functional teams in tech transfers and process validations
- Write documentation such as batch records, sampling plans, and development reports
- Maintain a functioning bioprocess lab including equipment maintenance and critical supply management
What we're looking for
- BS in Chemical Engineering or a related field with 8+ years of experience in manufacturing sciences, process development, manufacturing, or related areas. OR PhD with relevant academic or industry experience in these areas
- Hands-on experience with bioreactor unit operations at bench and pilot scale
- Working knowledge of DoE methods for experimentation and statistical analysis
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience with gene or cell therapy development
- Expertise in viral vector process development, characterization, manufacturing, and biology. (Lentiviral vector, AAV, or other viral vector therapeutic modalities)
- cGMP gene or cell therapy manufacturing experience
- Experience working and leading cross-functional teams and projects
- Tech transfer and working with CMOs
What you should know
- This is a lab-based role, with occasional weekend work. Some travel may be required including tech transfer and CMO-related work
- Lifting of movement of bioprocess equipment up to 10 kg
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, financial wellness programs, a 401(k) Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.