Senior Scientist I/II, Cell and Molecular Biologist
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie Oncology Discovery is seeking a highly motivated and skilled biologist in cell and molecular biology or immunology with a proven track record of research accomplishments. This individual will be a key contributor to the conception and discovery of novel targets and development of technology platforms, to enable biologics-based anti-cancer drugs with the goal of generating future clinical programs. This position will provide an exciting and dynamic opportunity to positively contribute to research programs that have a high likelihood of entering clinical trials and furthering understanding in the field of cancer targeting and treatment.
The Senior Scientist I/II will operate in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment, interacting with diverse groups of experts within and outside of his/her scientific discipline.
Independently conceive and execute experimental strategies to identify/validate novel cancer targets
Function as a key collaborator and contributor in a matrixed team environment with the opportunity to lead key discovery research activities
Prosecute biologic-based therapeutic programs (e.g., antibodies/multi-specifics/antibody-drug conjugates) and execute experiments to probe biology and mechanism of action
Execute studies within agreed upon timelines to help achieve milestone decisions. Maintain thorough understanding of project goals and modify experimental plans accordingly
Critically analyze/interpret data, accurately document, and promptly communicate results
Prioritize and manage multiple research activities, utilizing a broad range of technical expertise and knowledge in cancer biology
Develop and deliver scientific reports in the form of oral presentation and writing
Critically evaluate emerging scientific literature and participate in scientific meetings. Stays current with and adopts new technologies
- PhD or Masters in Cell/Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology or related field
- Senior Scientist I requirements: PhD with typically 0-3 years or MS with typically 8-10 years of job-related experience
- Senior Scientist II requirements: PhD with typically 4-6 years or MS with typically 10-12 years of job-related experience
- Broad experience and technical proficiency in standard biochemical, cellular and molecular biology techniques (i.e., mammalian cell culture, cell-based/biochemical assays, Western blotting, RT-qPCR, ELISA, flow cytometry)
- Organizational skills and experience with computer programs for data interpretation (e.g., Microsoft Excel, FlowJO, GraphPad Prism)
- Extensive laboratory research experience and a desire to continue in a laboratory-focused role with a high level of experimental rigor and quality
- Impactful research experience demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications and/or co-authorship on presentations at scientific conferences
- Proven effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as an individual contributor in a team setting and as an active collaborative partner
- PhD with prior experience in solid tumor biology (e.g., colorectal cancer, pancreatic cancer, lung cancer) or immunology (e.g., innate immunity)
- Previous experience in biologics or biologic-based drugs, either in an academic or industrial setting
- Broad range of cell-biology experimental expertise
- Strong skills in multi-color flow cytometry
- Proficiency in application of bioinformatic databases and tools
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality
*Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.