Senior Scientist, Synthetic Biology
Absci is a leading synthetic biology company that translates ideas into drugs with a platform technology that reinvents the biopharmaceutical drug discovery process. We custom engineer E. coli to create novel complex biologics in their full-length format while simultaneously developing production cell lines. We are deploying cutting edge deep learning artificial intelligence to inform our designs, and every day we succeed in achieving things others have dismissed as impossible. With more than a dozen partnerships in place with top pharma and industry leaders, our collaborations include projects for drugs and drug candidates that range across multiple protein types and therapeutic functionality. We are continually innovating, expanding the scope of what we can do and the impact we can have as we help get better drugs to patients...sooner. We are based in Vancouver, Washington, ten minutes from Portland, Oregon and an hour from world class alpine terrain and rugged Pacific coastlines.
The Senior Scientist, Synthetic Biology will join the Platform Development team, working to refine and develop Absci’s core technology. The scientist will apply their strong synthetic biology expertise to design and perform experimentation to advance Absci’s Integrated Drug CreationTM Platform. The scientist will work collaboratively in a cross functional team, coordinating experiments spanning multiple disciplines. The scientist will have extensive experience with library scale DNA construction and possess a deep knowledge of molecular biology and cloning techniques such as PCR, Gibson, Golden Gate, etc. The scientist will have experience leveraging next generation sequencing technologies to generate large data sets for scientific discovery and machine learning and deep learning applications. They should be proficient in scientific programming for data analysis purposes, with solid data visualization skills. The scientist should have a proactive mindset, a strong work ethic, and be excited to make a positive impact on the organization.
- Work collaboratively as a part of the Platform Development team to improve Absci’s Integrated Drug CreationTM Platform
- Leverage synthetic biology expertise to design and execute experimentation to support technology development including machine learning and deep learning capabilities
- Analyze and interpret large scale NGS experimental results
- Generate high quality scientific presentations to communicate experimental results and conclusions
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with Absci’s cross functional teams to advance program directives
- Demonstrate a proactive and enthusiastic attitude, working in a team-oriented environment
- PhD in a life-science discipline
- Proficiency in scientific computing and bioinformatics for data analysis using interpret programming languages such as R, Python
- Ability to interpret experimental results and draw conclusions
- Familiarity running and analyzing NGS based experiments, including bioinformatic and computational biology approaches
- Experience working with microbial systems, E. coli or other bacteria
- Strong molecular cloning skills, PCR, Gibson, Golden Gate, etc.
- Solid quantitative background for interpreting experimental data
- Experience with high-diversity DNA libraries
- SOP writing experience
- Flow cytometry experience
- Familiarity with machine learning or deep learning applications in biology
- Laboratory automation experience, Hamilton instruments preferred
We seek candidates who will dive all in to participate in our creative company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positive impact. We are defying conventions and innovating without boundaries. We are disrupting an industry with bold ideas and passionate pursuit of new possibilities. We are looking for original thinkers, creative scientists, and data-devoted gurus. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic startup environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. If this sounds good to you, we invite you to join us in our quest to redefine possible.
Absci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Absci may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is for our Vancouver, WA location (just outside of Portland, OR) - Absci may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role. Absci offers a dog-friendly work environment - bring your pup along for the ride.