Senior Scientist, Synthetic Biology / Strain Engineering
Absci is the AI-powered synthetic biology company unlocking the potential of proteins as the next generation of therapeutics. We built our Integrated Drug Creation™ Platform to accelerate discovery of novel biotherapeutic drug candidates and generation of the cell lines to manufacture them in a single efficient process. Biotech and pharma innovators partner with us to develop new protein-based drugs, including those that may be impossible to make with other technologies. Our goal is to enable the creation of better medicines by Translating Ideas into Drugs. For more information, please visit absci.com.
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
This position reports to Absci's Group Leader of Strain Construction and will leverage synthetic biology to drive further development and utilization of Absci’s proprietary E. coli expression platform. In this role, you are motivated by successfully implementing cutting-edge molecular biology techniques to perform gene cloning, library construction, and genome engineering. You are passionate about science, creative problem-solving, have strong communication skills, and can execute nimbly and efficiently in a dynamic startup environment.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- DNA construct design and strain engineering in support of Absci’s technology using modern cloning techniques such as Golden Gate Assembly, Gibson Assembly etc.
- Build plasmid DNA libraries with high diversity created through multiple steps.
- E. coli strain engineering at the genome level and innovation with different approaches and techniques like Lambda Red, CRISPR etc.
- Day-to-day work includes DNA sequence and data analysis, plasmid map construction, and contribution to our company wide-data ecosystem through deposition of data to in-house databases (LIMS) and maintaining laboratory notebooks.
- Bring forth and carry out new ideas to improve recombinant protein expression, solve scientific problems and/or present new project ideas to further improve Absci technology.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Typically a PhD in synthetic biology, molecular biology, microbiology, or a related scientific discipline and at least 5-10 years of industry-related experience. We are open to Masters or Bachelors Degrees with equivalent experience.
- Proficient in modern molecular biology techniques including DNA construct design, PCR, molecular cloning, plasmid extraction, and DNA sequencing.
- Extensive practical experience with multiple DNA cloning and editing methods such as Gibson and Golden Gate assemblies, CRISPR, etc.
- Experience with high-throughput workflows, laboratory automation and complex data sets. Prior experience designing, constructing, and screening high-diversity DNA libraries.
- Experience with recombinant protein expression, doing this in prokaryotes is a plus.NGS data analysis/bioinformatics experience is a plus but not required.
- Proficient in using software packages such as Geneious, CLC Genomics Workbench, Vector-NTI, etc. to design DNA constructs and to analyze sequencing data (Sanger and NGS).
- Flexibility to work a weekend day (workweek typically will be from Sun-Thu or Tues-Sat)
We seek candidates with a passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to make a transformative impact in our industry. To be successful in this role, we look for strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail, a sense of urgency, and excitement about working in a dynamic startup environment. A demonstrable track record of success in functioning as part of a project team is essential. Absci offers highly competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match.
Absci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Absci may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is for our Vancouver, WA location (just outside of Portland, OR) - Absci may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role. Absci offers a dog-friendly work environment - bring your pup along for the ride.