Senior Scientist, Downstream Process Development
Absci is the drug and target discovery company harnessing deep learning and synthetic biology to expand the therapeutic potential of proteins. We translate ideas into drugs with a platform technology that reinvents the biopharmaceutical drug discovery process. We custom engineer E. coli to create novel complex biologics in their full-length format while simultaneously developing production cell lines. We are deploying cutting edge deep learning artificial intelligence to inform our designs, and every day we succeed in achieving things others have dismissed as impossible. Our collaborations with pharma and biotech partners include programs for drug candidates that range across multiple protein types and therapeutic indications. We are continually innovating and expanding the scope of our capabilities and potential impact with the hope of getting better drugs to patients at truly unprecedented speeds. We are based in Vancouver, Washington, ten minutes from Portland, Oregon within an hour of world class alpine terrain and rugged Pacific coastlines.
We are currently seeking a self-motivated, passionate, and accomplished Senior Scientist to join our Purification team. You will play an impactful role in downstream process development of therapeutic proteins expressed using SoluPro™, Absci’s proprietary E. coli expression platform. Leveraging your background and understanding of the modern DSP process toolbox, assay development, and high-throughput screening/chromatography technologies, you will develop and optimize purification processes to assure the final, purified material meets project deliverables. This position requires strong attention-to-detail and collaboration across multi-disciplinary teams within Absci, including Strain Construction, Fermentation, Analytical Development, and Data Science. Adding to the high-performance culture, your passion for scientific innovation, excellent technical skills, and initiative will make you successful in Absci’s brand new lab!
- Develop downstream processes for large molecules including new biological entities and biosimilars
- Identify key project challenges, effect creative solutions to advance project timelines
- Operation, maintenance, and installation of instrumentation (e.g. AKTA, homogenizers, etc.)
- Execute laboratory scale chromatography using associated instrumentation, (e.g. AKTA, FPLC, etc.), and downstream processes (e.g. buffer preparation, cell lysis/homogenization, TFF, filtration, etc.)
- Write and review formal reports, includingSOPs and other technical documents
- Capitalize on unique advantages of the SoluPro® host strain to innovate patentable process development and characterization technologies
- Evaluate new technologies and implement high-throughput process development solutions
- PhD with 4+ years or MS with 6+ years of industry experience in process development Industry experience developing downstream processes and performing tech transfer for biologics
- Experience interpreting results from standard analytical techniques to assess product purity and clearance of process and product-related impurities
- Proven expertise in statistical data analysis and Design of Experiment (DoE) applied in an industrial, biopharmaceutical environment
- Proficient in software packages such as LIMS, ELNs (electronic lab notebooks), UNICORN, JMP, etc.
- Can-do mind-set and the ability to adapt to change with strong communication and presentation skills
- Passion for building a creative company culture that is collaborative, multidisciplinary, and determined to make a transformative impact to our industry
- Demonstrated track record of working on teams cross-functionally to exceed goals
HUGE Plus (but not required):
- Knowledge of cGMP, FDA, EMA, ICH guidances and industry standards for DSPD of biotherapeutic proteins to support clinical manufacturing
- Expertise in statistical data analysis and Design of Experiment (DoE)
- Experience mentoring and inspiring junior team members
We seek candidates who will dive into our creative company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positive impact. We are defying conventions and innovating without boundaries. We are disrupting an industry with bold ideas and passionate pursuit of new possibilities. We are looking for original thinkers, creative scientists, and data-devoted gurus. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. If this sounds good to you, we invite you to join us in our quest to redefine possible.
Absci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, catered breakfast and lunch, and 401(k) with a generous company match. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Absci is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Absci will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Absci offers a dog-friendly work environment - bring your pup along for the ride.