Associate Director, Precision Medicine, Oncology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a proven track record of scientific accomplishments to join our growing Precision Medicine Oncology organization at AbbVie. As an Associate Director, he/she will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment to lead the development and execution of Precision Medicine strategies for Oncology programs in early/late-stage clinical development. The successful candidate will lead a cross-functional Precision Medicine Team responsible for development and execution of translational research and clinical biomarker strategies (predictive/pharmacodynamic/resistance biomarkers, molecular response endpoints, indication selection and combination strategies) in alignment with the overall asset strategy, and ensuring successful execution of drug-diagnostic co-development in collaboration with the Companion Diagnostics group within Precision Medicine. This role requires a strong translational scientist with outstanding communication and leadership skills to drive effective decisions with key cross-functional stakeholders and enable execution of the overall Precision Medicine strategy for the program.
- Lead the design, development, and execution of the overall Precision Medicine strategy for one or more oncology programs
- Serve as the single point of contact for all aspects of the Precision Medicine strategy; providing scientific expertise and leadership to the program
- Enable cross functional collaboration on the Precision Medicine strategy, leading the design, execution, analysis, communication, and publication of translational research and correlative clinical biomarker studies
- Apply multiple gene- and/or protein-based technology platforms to deliver evidence of target engagement, mechanisms of action/resistance, patient selection/CDx strategies (in partnership with CDx Lead), and other clinically relevant biomarker endpoints
- Responsible for Precision Medicine related sections in clinical study / regulatory documents (i.e. INDs, IBs, trial protocols/ops manuals, ICFs, IRB responses, HA Briefing Books, CSRs, etc)
- Ensure that overall budget, schedule, and performance standards are attained, and be accountable for the overall Precision Medicine strategy in oncology clinical studies, in compliance with AbbVie’s processes and regulatory requirements
- Provide oversight of external collaborations (academic/industry/consortia) that advance the overall Precision Medicine objectives for the program
- Present Precision Medicine related strategies and plans to review forums, decision committees and project teams
- Represent Precision Medicine function at advisory boards and health authority interactions to advance translational research and clinical biomarker objectives for the program
- Drive scientific and/or technical innovation collaboratively with other members of Precision Medicine Oncology
- PhD, MD, or PhD/MD degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g. hematology/oncology, cancer biology, cancer genetics, molecular oncology, cell biology) with 8+ years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry or equivalent
- Strong scientific background in tumor biology and/or immuno-oncology supported by publication record in these areas. Expertise in hematologic malignancies is highly desirable
- Experience leading cross-functional teams responsible for developing/implementing Precision Medicine strategies for oncology programs in a drug development setting
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials, companion diagnostics, protocol design, and/or experience in clinical development strategy preferred
- Strong passion to drive clinical innovation through Precision Medicine to improve outcomes for patients with cancer
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong organizational skills with attention to detail, and effective time management with an ability to distill complex issues and clearly articulate/present solutions
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills to work in a team-oriented, matrix environment, and the ability to interface with multiple cross-functional stakeholders
Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
** The position may be located in Lake County, IL or South San Francisco, CA **
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.