Scientist III, Bioassay, Analytical Method Development
Manager: Associate Director, Analytical Methods Development
Department: Analytical Development
Location: Brisbane, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today’s medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist III to support the development of our Adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy products and gene-edited cellular therapies. In this role, the candidate will develop and qualify new bioassay analytical methods to enable a variety of Sangamo’s cell and gene therapy development programs. This is a laboratory-based position that requires creativity, organization, attention to detail, excellent communication and presentation skills, and a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of company goals. The ideal candidate will be experienced in using immortalized cells to develop cell-based assays and have a fundamental understanding of ICH guidelines for method qualification. The environment is exciting, fast-paced and offers the opportunity to work at the cutting edge of cell and gene therapy.
- Independently design, plan, and execute cell-based potency assays, evaluate emerging technologies, qualify and transfer studies to support the release, stability and characterization of AAV in-process, drug substance and drug product.
- Work independently on cell culture aspects, including but not limited to cell passage and making of master cell bank and working cell banks of adherent and suspension cells.
- Perform trend analysis to monitor the performance of an assay over time.
- Independently analyze, interpret, provide conclusions, and present experimental data at interdepartmental meetings.
- Collaborate with Upstream/Downstream Process functions, Formulation and Quality control departments.
- Creating electronic documentation for each task, including cleaning procedures, aseptic processing techniques and other assay related steps in a contemporaneous manner.
- Contribute to the completion of milestones associated with specific project plans.
- Participate in team activities such as routine laboratory organization of samples and reagents and maintenance of lab equipment.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- PhD in Biological Sciences such as Molecular Biology, Immunology, Virology, or related discipline with at least 8 years of academic, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology postdoctoral experience is required.
- A strong background in mammalian cell culture, infectivity assays, Molecular biology and Biochemistry techniques is essential.
- Experience with recombinant cell line development, Flow cytometry and ELISA is highly desired.
- Experience in statistical analysis software such as JMP, SoftMax Pro, GraphPad Prism and fluency in electronic lab notebook documentation preferred.
- Previous experience in a gene therapy-based drug development and regulated environment is a plus.
- An understanding of USP/ICH guidelines for analytical method development, qualification/validation is strong plus.
- Detail-oriented, organized with ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to document procedures and results and keep accurate detailed records.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suites such as word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint and relevant scientific software is desirable.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
Note to External Recruiters: Please understand that we do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. Any agency or independent recruiter must have a signed copy of our agency agreement before presenting candidates. Submission of unsolicited resumes without our signed agreement will not create any implied obligation on our part.
If you wish to be considered for the presentation of candidates, please contact us through Recruiting@sangamo.com. Attach your contact information, your area of specialty, and any marketing information you wish to provide. Someone form the Talent Acquisition Department will contact you directly if there is a business need for your services.