Vice President, Intellectual Property
Manager: Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
Location: Brisbane, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today’s medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics has retained Major, Lindsey & Africa (MLA) on an exclusive basis to conduct this search for a Vice President, Intellectual Property. All resumes will be routed to MLA for handling.
Sangamo Therapeutics, Inc. seeks an experienced and highly motivated attorney to lead and grow its global Intellectual Property function. The Vice President, Intellectual Property (VP, IP) will develop, manage, and champion Sangamo’s comprehensive IP strategy by developing and maintaining Sangamo’s international patent portfolio; managing outside counsels’ patent preparation and prosecution efforts; working closely with the research, development, manufacturing and business development teams to identify and harvest patents; developing efficient patent strategies and processes; monitoring competitor and invalidation activity; managing potential adversarial actions; overseeing the life cycle of approved medicines; and managing the IP budget. Reporting to Sangamo’s SVP, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, the successful candidate will have a background in life sciences, strong intellectual curiosity, and ideally experience with gene therapy, gene editing, gene regulation, cell therapy and/or immunotherapy. This position will be an integral part of Sangamo’s growing collaborative and energetic legal team and will partner with the General Counsel in leading the Sangamo Legal function.
- Analyzing and developing a successful global IP strategy and processes
- Overseeing the development and maintenance of Sangamo’s global patent portfolio
- Building, developing, and managing the IP team of attorneys and paralegals
- Fostering a partnership with key stakeholders in research, development, manufacturing, and business development to provide guidance regarding IP strategy
- Overseeing the management of outside counsels’ patent preparation and prosecution efforts and managing additional outside counsel for other matters, as needed
- Monitoring competitor activity, including developing patentability, validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate opinions
- Developing strategies for potential adversarial actions and offensive and defensive disputes
- Working with senior executives on assessing and managing IP risks and opportunities
- Educating Sangamo employees on IP policies and concepts
- Managing the IP budget and setting priorities for investments in intellectual property
- Overseeing protection of company trade secrets, copyrights, trademarks and other IP rights.
- Supporting IP aspects of company transactions, licenses, collaborations and partnerships.
- Partnering with the General Counsel on overall management of the Sangamo Legal function.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- JD degree from an ABA accredited law school
- 12+ years of experience in IP law in the life sciences sector, including law firm training and 5+ years of in-house legal experience at a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company developing therapeutics
- Admission in good standing to any state bar and the USPTO
- Law firm or in-house experience in all aspects of patent prosecution, management and strategy, including drafting and prosecuting patents, conducting landscape and freedom to operate searches and analyses, managing patent disputes and challenges, and strategically building and managing a global patent portfolio
- Strong understanding of drug development processes
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to act as a team player and build trusted cross-functional and external relationships
- Experience counseling senior executives on IP risks and opportunities and on potential offensive and defensive IP disputes
- Experience hiring and managing high-performing diverse and inclusive teams of legal professionals
- Strong intellectual curiosity and passion for the promise of genomic medicine
- Strong commitment to compliance and ethics, and Sangamo’s mission and values
- Superior intellect and judgment, with the ability to think critically, set priorities, make clear and well-reasoned decisions and provide practical legal advice
- Outstanding service mentality (proactive and responsive)
- A proven self-starter and results-oriented attorney who operates autonomously with little oversight
- High enthusiasm and energy
- “Roll up your sleeves” attitude and willingness to work side by side with other patent attorneys on the IP team; and
- Ability and desire to work in the entrepreneurial, fast-moving environment of a growing clinical-stage biotechnology company.
- Advanced degree in relevant life sciences discipline (biology, immunology, genomics, genetics, etc.)
- Experience with gene therapy, gene editing/regulation, cell therapy or immunotherapy
- Experience supporting IP transactions, including licenses, collaborations and partnerships and related due diligence and negotiations
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
Note to External Recruiters: Please understand that we do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. Any agency or independent recruiter must have a signed copy of our agency agreement before presenting candidates. Submission of unsolicited resumes without our signed agreement will not create any implied obligation on our part.
If you wish to be considered for the presentation of candidates, please contact us through Recruiting@sangamo.com. Attach your contact information, your area of specialty, and any marketing information you wish to provide. Someone form the Talent Acquisition Department will contact you directly if there is a business need for your services.