Senior Machine Learning Ops Engineer
Absci is the drug and target discovery company harnessing deep learning and synthetic biology to expand the therapeutic potential of proteins. We translate ideas into drugs with a platform technology that reinvents the biopharmaceutical drug discovery process. We custom engineer E. coli to create novel complex biologics in their full-length format while simultaneously developing production cell lines. We are deploying cutting edge deep learning artificial intelligence to inform our designs, and every day we succeed in achieving things others have dismissed as impossible. Our collaborations with pharma and biotech partners include programs for drug candidates that range across multiple protein types and therapeutic indications. We are continually innovating and expanding the scope of our capabilities and potential impact with the hope of getting better drugs to patients at truly unprecedented speeds. We are based in Vancouver, Washington, ten minutes from Portland, Oregon within an hour of world class alpine terrain and rugged Pacific coastlines.
We are looking for an MLOps Engineer to support AI Scientists in the development of deep-learning models for AI-driven cell line development and protein engineering for next-generation therapeutics. This role would serve as a technical lead for computational resource management and development. This involves working closely with the AI scientists and DevOps engineers to develop new infrastructure solutions, manage GPU clusters, support the installation and maintenance of AI-associated software, and support increasing demand for cloud resources. We are looking for an engineer who can work well with others and can both organize and execute a roadmap for our computational infrastructure.
- Identifying key infrastructure requirements for supporting AI efforts.
- Managing our private A100 compute cluster with bare-metal Kubernetes.
- Working closely with AI scientists to support the development and deployment of internal software and third-party tools such as Kubeflow and Weights and Biases.
- Working closely with DevOps to ensure our systems are secure, backed-up, and will scale with our needs.
- Leading the development and execution of a roadmap for hybrid local/cloud GPU computing.
- BS degree in computer science or related field
- 5+ years of industry experience in MLOps + DevOps, and/or systems administration
- Experience with GPU servers and associated AI software platforms, such as PyTorch or Tensorflow
- Experience managing Kubernetes clusters (cluster networking, traffic routing, RBAC, monitoring etc.)
- Experience setting up and maintaining Docker services
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on projects with multiple contributors
- Strong Python programming skills
Huge plus (but not required):
- Experience w. HPC GPU clusters, including NVIDIA topologies and multi-node training.
- Experience with Kubeflow, Weights and Biases, HuggingFace, and/or PyTorch Lightning
- Bioinformatics and/or molecular biology background
We seek candidates who will dive all in to participate in our creative company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positive impact. We are defying conventions and innovating without boundaries. We are disrupting an industry with bold ideas and passionate pursuit of new possibilities. We are looking for original thinkers, creative scientists, and data-devoted gurus. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic startup environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. If this sounds good to you, we invite you to join us in our quest to redefine possible.
Absci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) with a generous company match. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Absci cannot offer to sponsor individuals for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is for our Vancouver, WA location (just outside of Portland, OR) - Absci may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role.
Absci offers a dog-friendly work environment - bring your pup along for the ride.