Senior Director / Director, Alliance Management
Locations: Hayward, California | Brisbane, California | Remote, United States
The Senior Director/Director, Alliance Management is a key member of the Corporate Development and External Alliance team which leads creation and execution of Arcus’ key clinical partnerships. Specific focus for Alliance Management includes on-boarding of new alliances and leading post-deal and day-to-day alliance activities to shape and achieve strategic objectives of the alliance, anticipating and resolving potential issues, and overall ensuring the highest quality relationship possible. An additional focus would be for Scientific Licensing on identifying and evaluating opportunities aligning with the strategy, building important internal and external scientific relationships and leading assessment and diligence teams across the broad R&D organization.
- Overseeing the governance of the partnership agreement including participation in governance committees and working group meetings – identify key issues, set meeting agendas, schedule, ensure team is prepared with their deliverables, pre-meeting preparations, etc.
- Regularly communicate with partner alliance management counterpart and other key partner stakeholders as needed, including ad hoc communications/events that require cross-functional communication.
- Work with partner company to set the direction and scope for implementation and oversight of the partnership: key activities, timing and responsibilities on either side.
- Openly, proactively, and clearly communicates across all lines of the partnership including Senior Management.
- Works closely with key stakeholders throughout the company to successfully lead internal team alignment through the life of the alliance.
- Conduct regular reviews/meetings with senior management and other functions as appropriate to communicate key issues, achievements, etc. and gather feedback.
- Facilitate the preparation of ancillary agreements and amendments, and as appropriate, negotiates these agreements as well.
- Regularly collect/develop and control quality of forecasts to support financial planning activities in support of the partnership.
- Liaise with legal, finance, R&D and Commercial to ensure key contract stage gates, financial transactions, progress reports, etc. are handled appropriately and provide information/updates as needed.
- Implement Alliance Management programmatic processes and tools appropriate to the scope and needs of the alliance.
- Participate in review of new partner contract negotiations as appropriate and provide input into partnership execution terms of the contract, in particular governance structures and processes.
- Lead and/or participate in contract renegotiations as appropriate.
- 12+ years' experience with BS/BA or 10+ years with graduate degree in the pharmaceutical, life sciences or related industry, preferably in commercial, business development, or project leader/project management role.
- 5+ years' experience in Alliance Management, Business Development or related function.
- Knowledge and experience in oncology and immunology.
- Experience in global markets (e.g., EU, Japan, and other).
- Strong experience in drug development and operations.
- Ability to identify, prioritize and resolve key project and partnership issues.
- Enthusiasm to work well in a team environment and to build interdependent partnerships.
- Ability to manage complexities, think strategically, and exercise good judgment is needed.
- Experience in problem solving, negotiation, and decision making will be needed.
- Experience in working with senior levels within the organization is required.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills as well as strong communication and listening skills.
- Expertise to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-based matrix environment as well as the ability to function independently as appropriate.
- Flexible to accommodate changes in team and project needs.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at a time and have a strong attention to detail while understanding the higher-level strategy.
- Experience participating on scientific due diligence teams and product development teams is preferred.