Patient Safety Specialist
Serves as a lead or a resource on patient safety operational activities, projects, and initiatives. Leads or participates in projects of large scope and/or significant complexity or risk. Has clinical licensure to provide expertise on events.
Patient Safety is a department within the Patient Safety and Regulatory Affairs department. The focus of the Patient Safety Department is preventing, mitigating, or reducing harm from medical errors. Activities include risk surveillance and analysis of potential or actual medical errors and hazardous conditions, and process improvement to prevent future adverse events.
- Five (5) or more years of clinical experience working within a children’s hospital or ambulatory setting.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing or health discipline, or licensed clinician in the State of California (e.g., Nursing, Pharmacy, Respiratory, Physical Therapist), and/or equivalent combination of experience/training.
- Advanced interpersonal skills for collaborating effectively with a broad range of clinical and technical staff, representatives of external regulatory agencies, and mentoring staff.
- Advanced ability to effectively convey highly complex clinical, technical, and educational information both verbally and in writing, and to produce high-quality reports, documentation, and presentations.
- This position requires flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations. This individual will have the ability to work remotely and on-site (hybrid) at our Medical Center, located at Parnassus Heights, San Franciso.
- Advanced skills in data analysis, project management, facilitating group work, and working in a hospital environment with systems improvement.
- Advanced knowledge of clinical quality-of-care issues and patient safety methodologies, tools,
- regulatory requirements, and policies.
- Advanced organizational and project management skills, with the ability to lead a team, prioritize tasks, and see projects through from inception to completion on schedule.
- Advanced knowledge of various clinical and business software packages and of the specialized applications and data management programs used in patient safety and quality improvement
- Perioperative experience is a plus
- Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) and in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ)
Licensed clinician in the State of California
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what’s possible for the patients we serve – a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Consistently ranked among the top 10 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News & World Report – UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.