Senior Scientist, Formulation & Drug Delivery
Omega Therapeutics is a development-stage biotechnology company pioneering the first systematic approach to use mRNA therapeutics as a new class of programmable epigenetic medicines by leveraging its OMEGA Epigenomic Programming™ platform. The OMEGA™ platform harnesses the power of epigenetics, the mechanism that controls gene expression and every aspect of an organism's life from cell genesis, growth and differentiation to cell death. Using a suite of technologies, paired with Omega’s process of systemic, rational and integrative drug design, the OMEGA platform enables control of fundamental epigenetic processes to correct the root cause of disease by returning aberrant gene expression to a normal range without altering native nucleic acid sequences. Omega’s engineered, modular, and programmable mRNA-encoded epigenetic medicines, Omega Epigenomic Controllers™, target specific intervention points amongst the thousands of mapped and validated proprietary and novel DNA-sequence-based epigenomic loci, EpiZips™ to durably tune single or multiple genes to treat and cure disease through Precision Genomic Control™. Omega is currently advancing a broad pipeline of development candidates spanning a range of disease areas, including oncology, regenerative medicine, multigenic diseases including immunology, and select monogenic diseases.
About the Role:
Omega Therapeutics, Inc. is seeking a highly innovative Senior Scientist, Formulation & Drug Delivery to lead the discovery of lipid nanoparticle (LNP)-based approaches for mRNA-encoded epigenetic medicines. This role is reports to the VP and Head of Drug Delivery and Formulation.
- Mentor and oversee junior scientists engaged in LNP preparation, purification, and characterization, with approximately 50% of effort devoted to activities in the laboratory
- Design and conduct experiments for LNP formulation discovery and optimization; develop SOPs to guide internal work
- Critically evaluate study data to shape drug delivery strategy
- Work with cross-functional teams, including biology and genomics to accomplish experimental goals
- Communicate scientific findings internally and externally in the form of verbal presentations and written reports
- Partner with IT, Legal, Research Operations team to keep up-to-date Electronic laboratory notebook, record keeping, LNP database, and materials for patent filing and inventory etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, material science or related field with 8-10+ years’ experience in the Biotech/pharma industry (advanced degree preferred)
- 5+ years’ experience with nanoparticle formulations
- Prior experience with oligonucleotide delivery and/or LNP technologies
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise in LNP formulation, purification, and analytics
- Extensive hands-on experience with the following:
- Operation of microfluidic mixers for LNP production at research scale
- Purification of LNPs by TFF, dialysis, and spin-filtration
- Analytical methods for assessing physicochemical properties of LNPs, including size, polydispersity, zeta potential, concentration, and payload encapsulation efficiency
- Experience in managing CROs is preferred
- Track record of independence and leadership
- A learner’s mindset with a commitment to personal growth and a drive to broaden technical skills and scientific knowledge
- Experience with statistical design of experiments (DoE) is preferred