Are you ready to join our mission to enhance protein function and production? Do you have a passion for applying innovative technology to create novel products? Come be a part of the Codexis, Inc. team where every day we get to unlock the power of proteins!
Since 2002, Codexis’ scientists and bioinformatics experts have worked collaboratively with our clients to do just that, enabling breakthrough developments for applications across multiple industries! As Codexis expands into new applications and market, opportunities abound to advance and deploy our CodeEvolverTM protein engineering platform.
But we can’t do it without YOU!
To help us meet this goal we are looking for a Microbiologist with the following to join our team:
- Hands-on experience working with Bacillus and/or Pichia
- Experience scaling up and down between microtiter, shake flask and fed-batch fermentations
- Creativity, resourcefulness, and a collaborative approach
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Optimizing lab assays of Bacillus and/or Pichia strains for protein productivity and predictive power across scales.
- Collaborating to engineer strains and target proteins for improved productivity.
- Developing and implementing protocols for Bacillus and/or Pichia in shake flasks and microtiter plates.
- Characterizing target protein using a variety of techniques.
- Designing and performing high-throughput enzyme assays and analytical methods to evaluate enzyme function, within the context of protein libraries expressed in Pichia or Bacillus.
- Providing technical guidance for protein engineering projects.
- Managing analysis of large data sets using statistical tools and utilization of the LIMS system to track samples and analyses.
- Working independently and with project teams to provide support and assistance to all phases of directed evolution projects and contributing to team presentations and written reports.
- Maintaining a safe and efficient workplace, following safe lab practices and organizing lab environment.
To be successful in this role, your background and experience should include:
- MS in Microbiology, Biology, Biochemistry or related fields with 6-8 years of relevant experience or PhD with 2-5 years relevant experience. Title and compensation will be based on experience and capabilities.
- Industry experience preferred.
- Hands-on experience with optimizing growth conditions and target protein expression in Bacillus and/or Pichia strains.
- Protein/enzyme characterization, including expression, purity, and activity measurements.
- Excellent grasp of chemical and biochemical principles. Familiarity with the concept of directed evolution, enzyme cascades, and biocatalysis preferred.
- Understanding of analytical separation, detection, and measurement concepts. Prior experience with different chromatography systems, fluorescence-UV-visible spectroscopy, or other analytical techniques desirable.
- Ability to provide technical vision, leadership, and guidance to project teams.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task, think critically, and work both independently and within cross-disciplinary project teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication (oral and written), documentation (record keeping, lab notebook, reports, SOPs), organization and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail, safety, and good laboratory practices.
What can Codexis offer you? (besides an amazing and collaborative culture?)
- Full benefits on your first day
- 100% match on 401k (up to 4%)
- Generous flex time off
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fitness classes
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Much more!
NO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.