Software Engineering Manager
About Pivot Bio:
Fueled by an innovative drive and a deep understanding of the soil microbiome, Pivot Bio is pioneering game-changing advances in agriculture. Our first commercial product harnesses the power of naturally-occurring microbes to provide nutrients to crops. We are dedicated to providing new sustainable ways for farmers to improve yield as they work to help feed the world’s growing population. Read/Hear more about Pivot Bio on OneZero or CNN.
Position: Software Engineering Manager, Remote OK.
We are rapidly expanding our Scientific Computing team to improve our ability to develop knowledge and insight around various stages of pipeline from early research to commercialization. The Software Engineering Manager will be a critical member of this growing team as we increase the number of strains evaluated in our research labs through to executing on field trials. This role will be responsible for managing a team which creates tools using a modern web development stack (Python, Django, Vue, AWS, AWX/Ansible) to store and manage lab, field, and geospatial data. The preferred candidate will guide these projects in proper architecture design and be a liaison between software engineering, data science, and various research groups.
- Build a high caliber team of engineers who work on tools supporting Pivot Bio’s key applications
- Manage a team (5+) responsible for the LIMS, Greenhouse, and Field Data systems software engineering
- Facilitate development of an architecture roadmap that includes third party applications, internal applications, and a data-warehouse to ensure consistency of information across systems
- Keep track of diverse goals, timelines, and priorities and inform senior management of progress
- Make Pivot Bio a great place to work by actively supporting career development, growth, and mentoring of individuals; and by fostering a fun and inclusive team where everyone feels welcome
- Understand and communicate to team members the overall architecture and data flow to ensure efficient and effective data flow
- Collaborate with data engineering team, product owners (agronomy and lab teams) to develop tools to improve the design-build-test-learn cycle.
- Contribute to the strategic technical direction of software engineering in coordination with research and development teams
- Manage feature priorities with project manager, product owner, and requirements analyst
Required Skills and Experience:
- 8+ years of relevant experience in software engineering.
- Creative and adventurous in seeking solutions to problems.
- Experience managing teams of 3+
- Experience managing projects and using tools like Pivotal Tracker, Asana, or Atlassian (Jira/Confluence)
- Knowledge of building or interfacing with data-warehouse systems
- Working knowledge and expertise in Python, Django, Linux, AWS, Ansible
- Experience in agronomy, biotech, or biology
- DevOps engineering experience
What we offer:
- Competitive package in a disruptive startup
- Stock options
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance with employer-paid premiums
- Life, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability policies
- Employee Assistance Program with free referrals and discounts
- 401(k) plan, 3% Match
- Commuter benefits
- Annual Training & Development support
- Flexible vacation policy with a generous holiday schedule
- Exciting opportunity to work with a talented and fun team