Software Engineering Manager, Data Pipeline
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
Pacific Biosciences (NASDAQ: PACB) is seeking a talented and driven Technical Software Engineering Manager to lead and grow a team within the sequencing platform development group, Primary Analysis.
You and your team will be architecting and developing a scalable platform to support data acquisition and real-time analysis of the SMRT sequencing data stream—from high-speed sensor frames, through single-pass basecalling, to the single-molecule consensus prediction that produces our HiFi reads.
In this role, the focus will be on designing, developing, and maintaining product software solutions that will enable the analysis pipeline to scale economically over a wide range of throughput capabilities in the next generation of sequencing instruments.
You'll work cross-functionally with leaders in hardware engineering, instrument-control software, R&D, and downstream bioinformatics platform development to ensure that the primary analysis software stack is designed for flexibility to throughput scale, advances in sequencing chemistries and detection strategy, and to meet differing market segment requirements by platform.
You should have a deep technical understanding of hardware and software technologies at key interface points (camera frame acquisition, IPC in the Linux programming environment, RESTful APIs, data transfer) as well as those that will enable cost-effective acceleration of analysis algorithms (GPU, FPGA).
- Lead and grow the product pipeline development team by recruiting and retaining industry-leading engineering talent across a range of specialties.
- Provide technical leadership to drive high-level architecture and software design decisions for the team.
- Help define and implement effective software engineering practices within the team and cross-functionally.
- Work with leaders from Product Marketing, Program Management and R&D to establish development roadmaps.
- Help manage the prioritization and execution of development activities in an agile/scrum process.
- Support the technical and career growth of team members though 1-1 mentoring and performance reviews.
- Extensive technical knowledge of HW-SW interfaces, systems programming in a Linux environment, and the design of distributed systems for performance-critical applications.
- 5+ years experience developing software using modern C++ in a senior or technical-lead role, preferably in a cross-functional scientific instrumentation or data-science domain.
- 3+ years experience managing a team of high-performing software engineering professionals.
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in software engineering and development process, including tools and methods for managing soup-to-nuts delivery of product software under quality control.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to distill, diagram and explain technical subject matter to diverse audiences.
- A passion for achieving organizational excellence through team building and people management.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.