Sr. Scientist (Biological Research) - In vivo Pharmacology
At Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, we develop, manufacture, and market a portfolio of leading aesthetics brands and products. Our aesthetics portfolio includes facial injectables, body contouring, plastics, skin care, and more. Our goal is to consistently provide our customers with innovation, education, exceptional service, and a commitment to excellence, all with a personal touch. For more information, visit www.AllerganAesthetics.com.
The Senior Scientist will be an instrumental team member of the Toxins Innovation Group in Allergan Aesthetics, an AbbVie company, based in Irvine, CA. He/She/They will independently plan, design, and execute experiments to advance the development of biopharmaceutical agents for peripheral pain indications in a highly collaborative neurotoxin discovery program. The team member possesses strong publication track and experience in conceptualizing and driving complex research stage projects independently as well as in a team environment, and will provide scientific leadership as a peripheral pain expert across the R&D functional groups. The candidate must have in-depth working knowledge of cell-based assays, ex vivo, and in vivo pharmacology models of pain. Experience with transcriptomics and proteomics is desirable.
All work activities for this position are conducted in compliance with AbbVie's internal and applicable regulatory requirements. AbbVie internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements, and objectives.
- Independently design, plan, execute and interpret complex in vitro, ex vivo, and in vivo pharmacological studies focused on peripheral nervous system function
- Drive the biological science with the goal of lead molecule and/or formulation selection, characterization of MOA, identification of new indications and/or alternate delivery.
- Contribute to the development of translatable animal models.
- Formulate and administer novel therapeutics to rodents.
- Adaptable, creative, and think quantitatively.
- Generate detailed and accurate reports of study outcomes.
- Analyze and present results to multidisciplinary teams, prepare technical reports and contribute to driving strategy.
- PhD in neuropharmacology, neuroscience, or related biological science discipline with 7+ years of relevant working experience on experimental peripheral pain
- Typically, 10+ (MS) years of relevant bio pharmacological experience in peripheral pain
- Published track record in molecular pain and therapeutic pain in peer review journals
- Extensive experience with animal handling, dosing of small or large molecules through a variety of different routes, small animal surgeries, and post-mortem tissue harvest
- Hands-on experience working with primary neurons is required
- Extensive working experience with peripheral in vivo models
- Experience with histological techniques, including immunohistochemistry and standard staining, as well as microscopy techniques
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, multitask and ensure flexibility in a dynamic environment required
- Experience with electrophysiology assays is a plus
- Desire to take on additional responsibilities to progress career
- Experience in drug discovery is a plus
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.