BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
About the Opportunity:
The EHS&S Manager is a senior-level role within the EHS&S Department. This position is specialized in providing health and safety support to Research and Development laboratories and facilities. The EHS&S Manager will be responsible to implement environmental, health and safety programs and procedures and will act as the EHS&S representative on various cross-functional projects.
- Manage the Environmental, Health and Safety program for a research facility including but not limited to hazardous and medical waste, occupational health, ergonomics, biosafety, industrial hygiene, and laboratory safety.
- Oversees and/or conducts industrial hygiene surveys and monitoring, ergonomic assessments and environmental sampling activities and inspections.
- Coordinate and conduct safety and compliance audits/inspections.
- Support and coordinate regulatory inspections at the local, county, state, and federal levels.
- Provide strategic support to stakeholders to reduce health and safety risks to staff and improve safety awareness and culture.
- Develop and maintains strong relationships with internal and external partners/stakeholders including regulatory agencies.
- Investigate EHS incidents, near misses and safety suggestions including conducting root cause analyses.
- Oversees consultants and vendors.
- Use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required.
- Use monitoring and sampling equipment.
- Becomes a certified member of the Emergency Response Team (ERT), assist in ERT program planning, and respond to emergencies.
- Maintains the professional competence, knowledge, and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Uses EHS&S and company software systems effectively
- Performs other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Takes Initiative: Recognizes and acts upon opportunities even when not asked to do so. Self-directed within scope of role.
- Motivating Others: Can motivate many kinds of staff especially non-direct reports and team/project members. Empowers others. Acts as a positive influence on people and processes. Invites input from others and fosters diversity.
- Communication: Communicates effectively across all levels of the organization – shop floor to CEO.
- Other core competencies that will support your long-term success: ability to strategically plan and set goals/objectives, effectively navigate change, deal with ambiguity, give and receive feedback, organized, and gain the trust and support of peers and stakeholders.
- No direct reports but will need to manage the performance of contractors and vendors and may advise/direct other employees.
- Works directly and indirectly with key internal partners including Research, Facilities, Engineering, Global Security, Business Continuity, Human Resources, and Corporate Communications.
- Works directly with external consultants, contractors, vendors, and regulatory personnel.
Must have: Minimum Requirements:
- Ten years prior experience with undergraduate degree in Engineering, Safety, or relevant discipline. Six to eight years experience with Master’s degree.
- Experience managing EHS programs and providing EHS services.
- Comprehensive knowledge of EHS regulations, procedures, and business practices.
Nice to have:
- Professional certification such as CIH or CSP.
- Prior experience with California regulatory agencies and regulations.
- Prior experience in a biopharmaceutical or research setting.
- Emergency response or medical certification such as EMT.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.