The Amyris Bioanalytics team is looking for an experienced, self-motivated scientist to facilitate strain and process improvement by identifying, evaluating, and deploying proteomics approaches for the analysis of strains using both wet lab and computational methodologies. The successful candidate will contribute to setting strategic goals for the proteomics platform, guiding continuous improvement efforts and routine operations and maintenance of the pipeline and associated equipment.
As a member of the fast-paced, cross-functional team, you will be part of the multidisciplinary Screening and Analytics department (SCAN) department. You will independently develop, optimize, and run LC-MSMS based proteomics experiments. A successful candidate will evaluate cutting-edge technologies and actively seek to advance our omics pipeline. The role includes collaboratively working with our fermentation, biology, process development and scientific computing groups to develop and implement assays that answer questions as efficiently as possible.
- Work with key stakeholders in R&D to determine strategic goals and experiments
- Set-up, maintain, and troubleshoot UHPLC and nanoLC MSMS systems
- Contribute to the continuous improvement and operation of our omics platforms. Critique and evaluate the performance of current methods and workflows.
- Run targeted proteomics analyses
- Run untargeted proteomics analyses
- Run routine and non-routine samples to acquire and process data with tight turnaround times
- Answer data related questions and explain results to stakeholders
- Perform statistical analysis of complex datasets to aid in biological interpretation of data
- Clearly and effectively present to internal audiences; write up findings, results and/or established procedures in form of research reports, technical notes or SOPs. Present at conferences annually.
- PhD in Chemistry or related discipline with 1+ years post-degree omics experience. MS or BS with advanced omics skills and demonstrated proficiency will be considered. Level will be determined based on related expertise.
- Excellent LC-MSMS skills required.
- Experience preparing, running, and analyzing proteomics samples on LC-MSMS
- Experience using chromatography software plus ability to swiftly adapt to new software
- Ability to perform univariate and multivariate analyses; data normalization
- Hands-on development experience in selection and evaluation of measurement techniques, experimental design, sample preparation/extraction, and optimization of chromatographic conditions for protein profiling
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal as well as time-management skills, high degree of flexibility
- Ability to take initiative and work efficiently and productively in an evolving environment
- Analytical thinking skills, creativity, resourcefulness, good intuition for problem solving
- Ability to periodically work weekend hours as needed
- Expert using basic laboratory tools such as balances, volumetric glassware, pipettes, etc.
- Basic coding skills; advanced coding skills desirable
- Experience in data visualization techniques
- Experience in multi-omics data integration, interpretation, and visualization
- Demonstrated success in scoping and implementing new technologies
- High mechanical aptitude – demonstrated ability to understand, maintain, troubleshoot and repair instruments. Experience with robotics and automating workflows highly desirable.
- Excellent scientific writing and presentation skills for the preparation of technical reports, SOPs and presentations
- Experience with statistical analysis of large data sets, particularly with JMP and Spotfire
- Experience with Agilent qTOF, Agilent QQQ, Thermo QExactive or Exploris, and relevant software