Head of Finance, North America
Santen is a specialized pharmaceutical company with a 130-year heritage focused exclusively on ophthalmology. With sales in over 60 countries, Santen’s 4,000 global employees work to deliver life-changing therapies that make hope a reality for people facing vision impairment and loss. Santen Inc., located in Emeryville, CA (North America HQ), contributes important research & development and commercialization efforts. This office is home to about half of our 300-total staff in North America, including our Toronto, Canada site and our acquisitions of Eyevance Pharmaceuticals (Fort Worth, TX) and InnFocus (Miami, FL).
We are in search of top talent to help us meet our important goals and large growth plans.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Head of Finance, North America will provide leadership, coordination of financial planning and reporting, and ensure company accounting procedures conform to US GAAP. This person will build and manage effective and streamlined administrative/financial systems including accounting, finance, planning, tax and audit. They will have fiscal and fiduciary responsibility for Santen Inc., Santen Holdings US Inc. (SHUSI), InnFocus, Eyevance, and Advanced Vision Science, Inc. (AVS) and will lead the way for multiple product launches. This person will manage a team of 10-15 of individuals (~4 direct reports) including finance, accounting, and procurement, and will report into Santen’s global SVP of Finance, who is located in Europe.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND KEY DELIVERABLES:
- Short, mid, and long-term financial planning for successful commercial product launches in North America.
- Integration and management of multiple new entities (e.g. Eyevance, InnFocus, etc).
- In collaboration with the Executive Team of Santen Inc., assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and the company’s long-term strategy utilizing appropriate metrics.
- Establish rapport and a solid working relationship with the CEO, COO and management team, both locally and internationally, to meet Santen’s operating and strategic objectives.
- Provide strategic input and lead due diligence toward potential alliances and/or new business opportunities.
- Provide necessary financial reporting materials and information to the Board of Directors regarding concerns, trends and changes in Santen’s operations and strategic plans, domestically and globally.
- Direct the corporate governance activities of Santen Inc. and SHUSI.
- Oversee the timely and accurate accounting and reporting of financial results to executive management, the parent company and outside authorities.
- Oversee the quarterly and annual budgeting and forecasting processes.
- Be responsible for establishing appropriate internal policies and procedures to ensure company compliance with ethical standards, US GAAP and PhRMA, and state reporting regulations.
- Oversee all financial, tax and treasury audits.
- Be responsible for securing and maintaining appropriate levels of business insurance.
- Oversee the acquisition and maintenance of appropriate systems to maintain the company’s operations efficiently and accurately.
- Be responsible for the management, motivation, training, recruitment and selection of finance and accounting staff.
- B.S. degree required; preference will be given to candidates with an MBA/MS in Finance and the CPA or CMA designations.
- A minimum of 15 years of financial management experience and 10+ years in the pharmaceutical industry is preferred, experienced managing in R&D through commercialization.
- Prior experience launching pharmaceutical, biotech, or medical device industry products.
- Experienced with government price reporting (via Guidehouse and Model N).
- Cost accounting and transfer pricing experience.
- Prior experience in ADP, SAP, and Coupa preferred.
- A strong working knowledge of GAAP, SEC reporting and SOX compliance.
- Extensive M&A experience.
- Multi-national experience. Must have the ability to influence globally. Possesses an understanding of regional differences and how to communicate and collaborate on a global basis. Experience with Japanese companies is preferred.
- The ability to participate in crafting and executing a strategic plan, while understanding the financial implications of the strategic direction chosen.
- Hands-on management style with the interpersonal skills required to build, develop and inspire a successful team.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight time frames while managing multiple projects concurrently.
- Have a strong cross-disciplinary understanding of the entire business entity.
- High intelligence with skills that include strategic thinking, effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A positive, self-confident, and decisive leader with excellent communication and listening skills.
- Being known as a person of high integrity and sound character, with a tremendous work ethic and the passion to succeed.
- Ability to working in a fast-paced working environment managing multiple tasks.
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- Ability to spend considerable time at a computer.
- Emeryville, CA required.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Santen requires anyone working on-site or visiting company offices to confirm they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious accommodation is timely requested and approved. Please reach out if you have questions or concerns about this policy and how it may apply to your candidacy for a role with Santen.