Surrozen is a biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing novel regenerative medicines with a focus on unlocking the powerful self-renewal properties of the body through specific control of the Wnt signaling pathway.
Surrozen was founded by five leading-edge scientists: K. Christopher Garcia, Ph.D.; Roel Nusse, Ph.D. and Calvin Kuo, M.D., Ph.D. from Stanford University; Claudia Janda, Ph.D. from the Princess Maxima Center for Pediatric Oncology; and Hans Clevers, M.D, Ph.D. from the Hubrecht Institute and Princess Maxima Center in the Netherlands. Each has conducted extensive research on Wnt signaling, with findings that together shape Surrozen’s technology and approach to therapeutic development.
We are recruiting a Veterinary Pathologist who has 3+ years biotech industry experience working with animal models and a strong interest and commitment to the use of comparative pathology to support drug development. Reporting to the Senior Director and Head of Preclinical Development, this new position is an outstanding opportunity for an enthusiastic, self-motivated generalist Veterinary Pathologist to join an innovative, rapidly growing, and well-funded pre-IPO startup as it advances to the clinic.
- DVM (or equivalent), Ph.D with Board Certification of American College of Veterinary Pathology or European College of Veterinary Pathologists
- Possess an in-depth understanding of anatomic pathology and the pathophysiology of disease
- Expertise in necropsy, immuno-histochemistry/in situ hybridization, histopathology, advanced light microscopy, electron microscopy, digital pathology, translational tissue technologies and other relevant techniques
- 3-8 years of pharma or biotechnology experience in Discovery and/or Toxicologic pathology
- Experience in GLP peer review
- Knowledge of GLP compliance and relevant FDA guidance documents.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication skills, including authorship of pathology reports and relevant regulatory documents. Strong self-motivation and ability to work collaboratively
- A team player who works well in a team environment as a colleague and key contributor
- A global mindset and perspective with the ability to work effectively with colleagues from myriad cultures, backgrounds and geographies
- Results-driven and detail oriented; ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Active participation in appropriate professional societies and organization
- Develop Surrozen’s best practices for veterinary toxicologic and clinical pathology, including establishing new assays or technologies
- Work in support of research and project teams that are focused on the discovery and development of regenerative medicine therapeutics
- Act as liaison to external contract research organizations, consultants, or collaborators on pathology or related activities
- Provide pathology support for peer-review and report review
- Participate in the preparation of regulatory documents and other relevant publications
- Provide technical analysis for Surrozen’s in vitro, in vivo pharmacology and toxicology studies to support drug development and safety assessments throughout Surrozen’s pipeline
- Provide scientific leadership, as pathologist and subject matter expert, in the design, conduct and interpretation of animal models of disease, nonclinical biomarkers, and investigative and regulatory nonclinical safety studies to enable the progress of programs
- Potentially participate as the toxicology lead for discovery and development programs
- Manage pathology-related program-specific plans and timelines
- We offer a dynamic start-up environment and a collaborative, passionate team
- Excellent benefits, including competitive employer contributions
- Stock options
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Shuttle service to/from Caltrain, BART and the South San Francisco Ferry
- State-of-the-art research facility and onsite gym (see the amenities available at The Cove: http://leasing.covessf.com/toc.cfm)