Principal Scientist, Protein Chemistry & Protein Analysis
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by >$3 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.4 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside >$10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem includes Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
Cygnal Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated and innovative protein analyst/protein chemist to join its team of experienced drug hunters to invent, identify and develop large biologic molecules for therapeutic intervention. He or she will be responsible for the production, analysis and characterization of recombinant proteins, including antibodies, as well as for structural studies of these therapeutic proteins. The candidate will work closely with our Biology, Lead Identification, and In Vivo pharmacology teams, as well as external CROs, in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment. The successful candidate should be a self-motivated individual with demonstrated experience in protein production, analytics and characterization and have contributed to the development of therapeutic Biologics molecules.
- Responsible for the design and production of recombinant proteins and antibodies by leading both internal and external (CROs) efforts.
- Responsible for the development and optimization of analytical methods for protein characterization.
- Conduct the characterization and protein analysis of recombinant proteins, including monoclonal antibodies.
- Carry out or oversee mAb binning and affinity determination.
- Support mAb humanization and ADCC optimization efforts
- Perform monoclonal antibody developability assessment.
- Inform stakeholders about generated data, progress, and timelines in a timely and clear and concise fashion.
- PhD in biological engineering, biochemistry, molecular biology, or relevant biological science with 5+ years of experience in the biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical industry, developing therapeutic Biologics.
- Thorough understanding of the large molecule drug discovery process
- Knowledge of and experience with all aspects of mAb development
- Experienced in the production, characterization, analysis, and development of therapeutics proteins.
- Expertise in protein analytical methods such as BLI/SPR-based techniques, CD and DCS
- Experience with the use of chromatographic methodologies (SEC, SEC-MALS, HIC) and mass spectrometry-based techniques (peptide mapping, iMS, MALDI)
- Experience with humanization of mAbs and developability assessment
- Experience with outsourcing of research activities to contract research organizations (CROs)
- Be a self-motivated, well-organized individual, capable of working independently as well as in a collaborative/ group environment.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Drug discovery experience in the field of oncology, immuno-oncology, or neuroscience
- Experience with (co-)crystallization of monoclonal antibodies and recombinant proteins
- Experience with multiple different antibody identification platforms
- Experience with Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) activities
- Demonstrated contributions to therapeutic monoclonal antibody development, both in terms of data generation, as well as document preparation.
- Excellent scientific track record of high impact, peer-reviewed publications and patents or other fees with respect thereto.