Associate Director, Target Biology
The candidate will play a lead role in Target Biology and new therapeutic concept nomination. Additional responsibilities may include new target identification, clinical indication selection, multiomics data analysis, and mechanism of action studies. Both within the Target Biology research group and within interdisciplinary project groups, the candidate will provide scientific guidance on existing projects as it relates to answering challenging biology and immunology questions.
- Play a leadership role in developing new therapeutic concepts and project proposals and validating new targets.
- Identify potential clinical indications and determine clinical feasibility of new therapeutic concepts.
- Work closely with in-house translational medicine group to obtain data confirming target-to-disease link.
- Identify and interface with key-opinion-leaders and internal clinical staff early in the new therapeutic concept proposal process to enhance biology understanding and validate clinical feasibility.
- Design and implementation of cell-based assays to validate new targets.
- Assist in multiomics data analysis of targets from public and in-house datasets.
- Analyze RNAseq data for target validation and mechanism of action studies.
- Participate in multi-departmental research and development projects and discussions, providing scientific leadership and direction regarding activities related to new therapeutics concepts and target validation.
- Act as departmental expert in matters related to cell biology and immunology.
- Coordinate experiments with colleagues and project team leaders to ensure rapid achievement of objectives and overall goals.
- Proactively use literature to investigate and recommend new methods, screening strategies, or project targets.
- Direct process improvements for the group.
- Ensure data generated is well-controlled and interpreted appropriately. Communicate findings, conclusions and potential strategies openly and effectively to colleagues and senior management.
- Stay current with the relevant scientific literature, and present and explain key concepts to colleagues.
- Write and review manuscripts and intellectual property documents.
- Participate in industry conferences and seminars with occasional travel required.
- Follow and adhere to SOP’s and laboratory safety regulations.
- Solid background in scientific leadership with strong interpersonal and mentoring skills. Excellent collaborative skills for working on cross-functional multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, with high attention to detail. Capacity to prioritize assignments and work effectively under deadlines.
- Strong communication skills, and ability to report and present experimental results and analysis to colleagues and senior management in a clear and concise manner.
- Creates networks with key decision makers to effect change within the organization.
- Intensely committed to success of the company and a job well done in a highly dynamic environment.
- Self-motivated, independent, and results-oriented.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus in order to read.
This position may require occasional evening and/or weekend commitment, working with biological and/or chemical hazards, and occasional travel.
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, typically in an open office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Requirements
Job Requirements and Qualifications
Education & Experience
- Ph.D. cell biology, immunology, or related field with post-doctoral experience specializing in biologics drug development.
- 10+ years, post-doctoral, of relevant experience with a minimum of 6 years industry experience in biotech and/or pharma.
- Extensive background in biologics discovery research from idea to IND.
- Practical knowledge of immunology.
- Proven experience leading research programs aimed at identifying and optimizing candidate therapeutic proteins (preferably antibodies).
- Demonstrated experience managing a group of biologists involved in biologics discovery and protein engineering.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.