This position supports translational medicine approaches for antibody-based drug discovery projects in autoimmunity and inflammation. The Scientist II will contribute leading and supporting translational research projects, to generate immunology-related hypotheses for patient segmentation, developing critical immune cell-based assays to evaluate target engagement and pharmacodynamics for preclinical translational and clinical studies, and providing a better understanding of target immune biology in diseases. Experience working with a CRO that validates and executes PD assays for clinical trials is highly encouraged. The applicant will have a thorough understanding of immunology and contribute to mechanism-based studies that lead to the selection of appropriate indications for discovery projects, including correspondence and collaboration with leading experts in the field.
- Uses advanced immunology and cell biology understanding to support discovery and early development projects, solving a wide range of difficult problems using effective and creative approaches to achieve corporate objectives.
- Effectively designs and executes key experiments to support existing projects and support translational medicine in new scientific areas or technologies; analyze and interpret data and prepare associated documentation to support project objectives.
- Contributes to novel analytical methods, collaborating with bioinformatics experts to analyze, interpret and convey data, as well as design and apply laboratory experiments to further project objectives.
- Works effectively as a member of multi-disciplinary, cross-functional teams to accomplish project goals.
- Presents research findings clearly and effectively at internal and external meetings.
- Maintains broad scientific and technical knowledge within the discipline of translational medicine, including state-of-the art principles and theories, new methods and technologies, using the scientific literature to enhance the design and execution of their work.
- Maintain updated and well organized electronic notebook with detailed experimental protocols that is signed and witnessed at frequent regular intervals.
- Maintain familiarity with current scientific literature, author external scientific publications and presentations.
- Attend and contribute to project team and Discovery and Translational Medicine Department meetings.
- Follow and adhere to SOPs and laboratory safety regulations, promote a safe working environment for self and colleagues.
- Demonstrated success in designing, analyzing and interpreting results from key experiments, coordinating efforts to achieve project goals.
- Current working knowledge of cellular and molecular immunology, cell biology, or related discipline, with an applied understanding of antibodies and biologics drug discovery.
- Practical state-of-the-art knowledge in the design and implementation of PD assays using human cells or human whole blood, mammalian cell culture, cell biology techniques, including cellular signaling, flow cytometry, and multiplexed assays (Luminex, MSD, etc.)
- Strong record of scientific creativity and independence, including a strong scientific publication and external presentation record in accord with years of experience.
- Proven personnel management skills with an ability to multitask, prioritize, and function in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Effective communication skills, including the ability to independently write study reports and scientific manuscripts for publication, and the ability to make clear oral presentations to project teams and the executive team.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and function in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to organize work load and activities to achieve corporate and team goals.
- Motivated team player, collaborates with colleagues within and outside of Department, intensely committed to success and getting the job done well in a highly dynamic environment.
- Commitment to high scientific standards and rigorous experimental methods, with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated and strong work ethic, independent, and results-oriented.
- Ability to work independently while also willing to take feedback.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus in order to read.
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, typically in an open office environment and laboratory. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- This position requires working with biological and/or chemical hazards
Education & Experience:
- Ph.D. in immunology, cell biology or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of industry experience.
- Experience with novel PD assay development for biologic therapeutics, in collaboration with, or on the assay validation/execution side at a CRO, is highly desired.
- Demonstrated success in contributing to biologics drug discovery projects with independent and innovative scientific thinking and experimental design/approaches.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.