Senior Expert, Science & Technology - Upstream
Imagine… 2 weeks after the birth of your child you realize they aren't meeting critical developmental milestones and after months of doctor's appointments you are told your baby has a rare neurological disease that would impact how they would live their lives. This is the reality of parents whose children have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and it's the reason why we at Novartis Gene Therapies are laser focused on bringing hope and possibility to those devastated by rare genetic diseases.
The Senior Expert, Science & Technology (Upstream), is responsible for executing cell culture experiments for Novartis Gene Therapies programs. This role work in the laboratory.
- Execution of experiments related to existing and pipeline products.
- Works with scientists in the Process Development department.
- Leads, plans and conducts viral vector production in bioreactors ranging from 1L to 200L scale.
- Use of statistical approaches for process optimisation (DOE, QbD) at small scale (15-25ml) and translation of small-scale results to bioreactor scale production.
- Creates and Maintains cell banks and oversee their inventory.
- Development of mammalian expression systems to support protein expression.
- Promotes and suggests implementations of new methods, technologies, and processes to ensure best practice.
- Supports technology transfer activities for clinical manufacturing.
- Serves as technical expert for the manufacturing process.
- Authors technical reports of studies in support of Process Development.
- Provides training and guidance to supporting scientists.
- Other related job duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's, biology, cell biology, pharmaceutical sciences or related technical field with 8 years relevant experience or Master's with 6 or PHD with 4.
- In depth understanding of cell culture processes and scale up in a variety of bioreactors including engineering and analytical parameters necessary for scale up.
- Proven expertise with a variety of bioreactor technologies.
- Previous experience with AAV manufacturing or Process Development.
- Understanding of GMP regulations, DOE and QbD principles, and guidelines for process development.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently analyze and interpret data to further progress development strategies.
- Ability to manage up to 5 contributing team members.
- Laboratory experience in a molecular and cell biology laboratory.
- Specific laboratory experience desired includes, but is not limited to:
- Culture of mammalian cells in adherent and suspension cell culture
- Knowledge and use of single use bioreactor technologies
- AAV purification
- Transfection optimization
- Up to 25% travel.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives. We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Need help finding the right job?We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.