Research Scientist, Molecular Biology
The Research Scientist position reports to the Director, Molecular Biology supporting Ligand’s OmniAb Technology platform and will work on a team that generates and characterizes new strains of OmniChickens. Duties include development of constructs for the expression of human antibodies in OmniChickens with enhanced capabilities and innovative formats. Participate in the design and testing phase for these novel transgenes, genetically modify chicken primordial germ cells (PGCs) to incorporate the transgenes and characterize the insertions in the cells. Coordinate the production of transgenic chickens using the modified PGCs. Participate in the characterization and evaluation of new OmniAb chickens once they have been established. Characterization of new chickens includes studying B cell development, antibody repertoires, immune responses and/ or antibody discovery.
The OmniAb group at Ligand consists of dynamic and innovative scientists that employ a variety of novel platforms to support our partners in discovering the best antibodies possible for their therapeutic applications. At the core of OmniAb is the ability to engineer animals to generate affinity matured human sequence antibodies for use in conventional and novel formats. We leverage our proprietary animals with state-of-the-art technology in antigen design, immunization methods and high-throughput single B cell screening to facilitate discovery of best-in-class antibodies. We are looking for accomplished team players who are enthusiastic to contribute to the technological frontier of antibody discovery, and passionate in their desire to collaborate with partners to develop next generation therapeutics. See OmniAb.com for more details about the exciting science being performed at Ligand.
About Ligand • Ligand is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing or acquiring technologies that help pharmaceutical companies discover and develop medicines. Ligand employs research technologies such as antibody discovery technologies, ion channel discovery technology, Pseudomonas fluorescens protein expression technology, formulation science and liver targeted pro-drug technologies to assist companies in their work toward securing prescription drug and biologic approvals. We have contributed novel research and technologies for approved medicines that treat cancer, osteoporosis, fungal infections and postpartum depression, among others.
Experience and Skills
- Design, construction and molecular characterization of OmniChicken transgenes
- PGC culture and production of OmniChickens
- Immunophenotyping of OmniChickens
Additional Responsibilities Include
- Presentations at major antibody conferences
- Other duties as required
Experience and skills
- PhD with 2+ yrs relevant experience
- A strong molecular biology background
- Experience with embryo culture or primary cell culture, such as pluripotent stem cells
- Experience in transgenic animals preferred
- Experience in immunology and immunological techniques preferred
- Must demonstrate well-developed communication, record keeping, organizational skills, and the ability to work in a team environment
- The company offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, Short/Long term disability and life insurance, as well as 401(k) match, Stock Options, Bonus, and paid time leave
- All new hires are required to go through a background and reference check
- Ligand is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets employer
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Ligand celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply