Director, Business Services and Operations
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director Regulatory Affair, Business Services – Business Operations, works with multiple cross-functional and divisional stakeholders and delivers business value according to the agreed upon Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for the Regulatory and RDQA functions. Anticipates business needs through strategic planning and trend analysis. Leads team with a continuous improvement mindset driving strategic initiatives and enabling cross-functional operational efficiencies. Will supervise a team of personnel to include exempt, non-exempt and third party resources.
- Assures business operations support for the Regulatory and RDQA organization to enable the implementation of functional strategies. Support includes Vendor Management/Procurement, Headcount, Payment, Time Reporting and Space Management.
- Fosters strategic initiatives to streamline processes cross functionally. Develops and implements internal business operations standards in line with applicable practices and procedures; ensuring consistency and compliance while exceeding SLAs.
- Directs the third party procurement process working with Regulatory and RDQA stakeholders and AbbVie partners such as the Central Consulting Group and Purchasing functions.
- Provides guidance and produces reports on time reporting and resource management needed for Finance and Business Development. Manages the business resource planning efforts in support of the RA function. Interacts with peers and stakeholders to manage and validate the resource model and drive efficient allocation of resources across the organization.
- Oversees the management of Headcount, reporting and creation of organizational charts. Ensures utilization of streamlined processes and tools working in partnership with HR and Finance.
- Manages the development of the Facilitates/Space Long-Range plan in collaboration with the Regulatory Affairs and R&D Quality Assurance functions and directs major facility projects.
- Provides the leadership over annual and ad hoc financial activities. Responsible for ensuring the RA and RDQA LRP and Plan provides the information needed to justify the requests or changes based on pipeline, volume and strategic goals. .
- Supervises the process for acquiring staff augmentation resources through strong partnerships with third party contracting services.
- Anticipates emerging issues and develops solutions working with Regulatory, RD QA and other AbbVie functions to enable superior customer service. Provides visible leadership as RA and RD QA representative on RD or enterprise wide Business Operations initiatives.
- Builds partnerships with staff, vendors, Legal, HR, Finance, Central Consultancy Group (CCG), and Office of Ethics and Compliance (OEC) to ensure achievement of business activities for Regulatory and RD QA.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred. Certifications a plus.
• Minimum 7 years Business Operations related experience required. 5+ years in pharmaceutical, healthcare or regulated industry and strong knowledge in pharmaceutical regulations i.e. FDA and European Union (Quality role) preferred. 5+ years experience in a business operations role; and/or experience in finance/accounting/procurement preferred. Strong knowledge of pharmaceutical regulations, i.e. FDA and European Union and their impact to organization processes and technology tools preferred.
• Proven 5 years in a leadership role with strong management skills required. Experience serving and managing business management consultants preferred.
• Experience working in a complex and matrix environment required. Demonstrated ability to lead multi-divisional and multi-functional teams with global aspects required.
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written required. Ability to craft compelling business cases and sell new ideas preferred.
• Strong business acumen and negotiation skills required.
• Experience analyzing complex business problems and facilitating the design of innovative solutions preferred.
• Keen awareness to cultural nuances; proven ability to work in a global environment
• Proficiency in project planning and management experience including successful implementation of business and/or technology initiatives preferred.
• Extensive experience in business operations role preferred. Experience in managing functional budgets and developing budget forecasts preferred. Expertise in Contract and Procurement processes preferred. Note: Higher education may compensate for years of experience
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 15 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.