We are currently searching for a Molecular Biologist to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as technical expert providing state-of-the-art molecular analyses in any Service (i.e., Hematology, Microbiology, and/or Immunology).
- Performs a wide variety of complex experimental procedures involving cell biology, biochemistry, and immunology and molecular biology techniques.
- Work with staff on specimen processing and clinical test performance of moderate to high complexity tests.
- Conducts research/clinical tests using plasmid purification, cell separation from whole blood, DNA/RNA purification and quantitation, conventional PCR, real-time PCR, Sanger sequencing, digital droplet PCR and Next Generation Sequencing.
- Collaborates with graded Investigator(s) on projects, methods and equipment aiding in meeting the lab’s research goals.
- Independently analyzes experimental data and discusses the interpretation, reliability, validity, and significance of ongoing projects.
- Uses a wide variety of bioinformatics approaches, statistical methods, and computer programs to collect, organize, and analyze data for optimal retrieval and presentation of results in a clear, concise manner.
- Provides technical supervision, advice, and assistance over the research work of Clinical Staff Fellows and serves as resource to other biologist/technologists who are working in the laboratory.
- Modify or adapt new methods, techniques, and technical procedures to correct deficiencies and to build, improve and expand services in the specialty area of molecular hematology.
- Follow the laboratory’s established policies and procedures when test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results; correct problem or notify staff; document all corrective actions taken.
- Communicate and consult with pertinent medical personnel regarding collection procedures; troubleshoot any problems with the specimen or documentation.
- Troubleshoots problems with equipment such as Robosep cell separator, thermocyclers (e.g., GeneAmp PCR System, Veriti), 3500 Genetic Analyzer, ABI 7500 Fast Real-Time PCR System, QuantiStudio 12k flex and QIASymphony/QIAgility instruments.
- Oversee all aspects of laboratory safety, quality control, quality assurance and quality improvement (QC/QA/QI) policies and procedures.
- Document all quality control activities, instrument calibrations and maintenance
- Maintain records that demonstrate proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Organize daily workload based on priorities, rotation schedule and needs of the laboratory and patients.
- Order reagents and supplies required for the specialty testing for equipment and supply contracts.
- Collaborate with staff to evaluate and/or develop new techniques; perform comparative studies with older technology; perform evaluations to determine new guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with accrediting and inspections agency requirements participating in activities associated with the laboratory accreditation process.
- Ph.D. degree in Biology, Life Sciences, or a related discipline. Three (3) years of specialized experience plus a Master’s degree is equivalent to a Ph.D. degree.
- MT/CLS certification preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience with clinical molecular testing.
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing; bioinformatics; quantitative PCR; DNA/RNA purification and quantitation techniques
- Knowledge of regulatory guidelines for molecular testing.
- Ability to lift 10 – 30 pounds.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Must be willing to work up to 40 hours per week in 8-12 hour shifts per day. Work will be performed on a varied schedule per week and may include weekends, holidays, and/or shift work.
Due to our contractual requirements, to be eligible for this role, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at time of hire.Company Description
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.