AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing world class genetics and genomics research, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials. Within the GRC, the Department of Bioinformatics is responsible for data analysis and provides analytical insight for both internal and external data. This involves the identification and characterization of underlying genetic epigenetic, or genomic factors that are associated with disease diagnosis, prognosis and response (efficacy and safety) to drug treatment, identification of new targets, and interpretation of the impact of genetic and genomic evidence from population-based studies. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior/Principal Bioinformatics Scientist, based in Cambridge Massachusetts. The candidate will work closely with computational biologists and research project teams in Immunology discovery to analyze genetics and multi-omics datasets to derive insights into immunological diseases, identify novel therapeutic targets and biomarkers specific to patient cohorts and Abbvie pipeline drugs.
- Collaborate with research & clinical scientists to conceive informatics analysis strategy and independently execute bioinformatics analysis that support discovery and pre-clinical studies such as new target identification and biomarker development
- Build custom analysis pipelines per project analysis needs and can be executed by other computational and genomics scientists
- Collaborate with software engineers to maintain and build computational infrastructure and pipelines
- Identify relevant internal and external data and knowledge resources and propose integration mechanisms for immunology data integration
- Be abreast with most current systems analysis methodology and algorithms and introduce them in-house when appropriate.
- Communicate analytical results verbally and in writing for scientific and technical audiences.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or Biological Sciences (Immunology preferred) with strong quantitative background (statistics, math), involving the analysis of large scale complex data with at least 6 years of experience, or Master’s degree with at least 15 years of experience.
- Hands on experience in genomics, genetic and/or epigenetic data analyses using existing and custom pipelines are required. Experience in single cell data analysis is preferred.
- Ability to summarize analytical results, derive biological/experimental interpretation and recommend follow up actions to peer biologists is essential.
- Fluent in scientific scripting languages such as R, Perl/Python. Very comfortable working in linux, windows and cloud based computing environment.
- Working experience with protein/protein interaction, Interactomes and network visualization software such as Cytoscape is preferred.
- Knowledge in relevant tools and databases and experience in developing custom computational analysis pipeline leveraging these resources is strongly preferred.
- Working experience with relational database (Oracle, MySQL, PostgresSQL) is preferred.
- Prior working experience embedded within immunological research teams is strongly preferred.
- Strong communication skills, innate scientific curiosity and collaborative team spirit are essential.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experiments to drive the science in the field of interest
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.