Mechanical Engineer M/F
Opportunity and Challenges
We are looking to assemble a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionate people. We want to gather their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of “DNA-write”. We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup. Our Next-Hour DNA Synthesis platforms not only have the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but also to accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company and to have a large impact on developing a technology that will have far-reaching impact across biological sciences.
The position will be US based, in the South San Francisco, California office.
- Design or modify mechanical engineering layouts, schematics, and CAD models and/or detailed drawings and specifications of moderate scope
- Perform and document engineering tests
- Generate related Design Control documentation for product release
- Coordinate the procurement and assembly of mechanical components and equipment and identify sources of critical parts and subsystems to resolve complex technical issues
- Troubleshoot a variety of mechanical issues
- Implement concepts and mechanical solutions
- May be responsible for the design, development and implementation of custom mechanical tooling, fixturing, and associated processes to enable the handling, assembly and/or disassembly of parts, components, sub-assemblies and final assemblies throughout the product life cycle
- A Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in Mechanical Engineering.
- 0-2 years of relevant industry experience in mechanical engineering of life science instrumentation or diagnostic devices.
- Experience using 3D modeling methodology and tools, ideally Solidworks.
- Knowledge of key development tools and design standards: 3D CAD, Finite Element Analysis, Tolerances, Manufacturing Principles
- Knowledge of Mechanical Engineering Design specializations or competencies: Tolerance Analysis, DFM, Serviceability
- Knowledge of specific component industry standards.
Ideal Candidate will have:
- Experience with or understanding of basic design control under ISO standards and knowledge of how they relate to mechanical components and designs
- Experience prototyping and validating designs in a system.
- Experience with Python for device control and data acquisition.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: Motion (stepper and/or BLDC servo motors), thermal (TECs, PID, thermistors, thermocouples, RTDs, cartridge heaters, etc), and fluidic/pneumatic (cylinders, pumps, valves, solenoids, regulators, sensors)
- Knowledge of product development lifecycle
- Phone interview with the hiring manager
- Day interview at the office with the manager, HR, cofounders and the team
- References Check
- Timing: 2-3 weeks