Electrical Engineer M/F
Opportunity and Challenges
We are looking to assemble a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionate people. We want to gather their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of “DNA-write”. We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup. Our Next-Hour DNA Synthesis platforms not only have the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but also to accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company and to have a large impact on developing a technology that will have far-reaching impact across biological sciences.
The position will be US based, in the South San Francisco, California office.
- Interpret and define requirements and technical specifications for existing and new automation platforms, modules, and test-beds
- Participatie in or lead the selection, evaluation and integration, of electronic and electro-mechanical components such as motors, sensors, controllers, and drivers
- Design, simulate, integrate, test, characterize and troubleshoot PCBAs and related components
- Extract and analyze data from sensors and other components to assess or characterize performance, determine root-cause of failures and make adjustments or design changes as necessary
- Design schematics and printed circuit board layouts for new electronics designs including low-noise analog, power electronics, and high-speed digital circuits
- Work with cross-functional engineering team (electrical, mechanical, software, etc.) to develop coordinated solutions to sophisticated problems
- Prototype, test, and bring-up circuits for robotic devices to ensure signal integrity, performance, and functionality
- Write electronic hardware documentation and generate electronic release packages in accordance with quality standards
- Participate in subsystem failure mode analysis to ensure safe and efficacious system designs
- A Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience designing, building, and supporting electronics and electrical sub-systems life science instrumentation or diagnostic devices.
- Proficiency with common electrical test and measurement equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and communication bus packet sniffers
- Solid understanding of physics and electrical engineering fundamentals
- A positive, proactive attitude and a strong passion for science, engineering and high-impact product development
- Demonstrated success working in multidisciplinary team environments
- Experience with one or more electrical design tools for schematic capture, layout and cable documentation
Ideal Candidate will have:
- Experience with or understanding of basic design control under ISO standards and knowledge of how they relate to electrical components and designs
- Experience with development of Firmware and Embedded Code.
- Experience with Python for analysis, modeling and simulations.
- Experience with Python or C++ for device control and data acquisition.
- Experience with electrical control in one or more of the following areas: Motion (stepper and/or BLDC servo motors), thermal (TECs, PID, thermistors, thermocouples, RTDs, cartridge heaters, etc), and fluidic/pneumatic (cylinders, pumps, valves, solenoids, regulators, sensors)
- Knowledge of complete electrical board design cycle.
- Phone interview with the hiring manager
- Day interview at the office with the manager, cofounders, HR and the team
- References Check
- Timing: 2-3 weeks