Sr. Director, mRNA Integrated Business Operations
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
The Senior Director, mRNA Integrated Business Operations is a key position responsible for providing strategic leadership to and managerial oversight of the business operations capabilities supporting the cross-enterprise mRNA Program. This position will provide strategic direction and implementation of globally aligned processes to support all functions in the mRNA Program in:
- Global budget & resource management, working closely with R&D, Operations, Quality, Commercial and Enabling Functions
- mRNA Business Operations Network leadership
- mRNA business issues resolution
- Partnership with enabling function business partners
- Business performance metrics
- Business capabilities across the enterprise to support mRNA program delivery and requirements
Global Budget and Resource Management
Organize, structure, connect, & integrate business and operational information across functions (e.g. project, non-project, infrastructure, headcount, internal & external) to enable mRNA Program Leader to effectively and consistently manage across the business
- In collaboration with business and technology leaders, lead the implementation of a solution to integrate operational, financial, project plans and resource management data sources to facilitate impact analyses, scenario planning and trade-off discussions
- Establish budget and resource management processes (e.g. baselining and variance guidance), data standards & governance, and reporting
- Manage global and site-specific resource capacity and allocation in line with mRNA program prioritization
- Evaluate and develop a mechanism for requests to evaluate impact & present for decision-making
- Member of mRNA Resource Planning and Execution Team providing headcount information gathered from across functions (perm, contract, intern) to provide transparency and enable discussions regarding demand, gaps and prioritization
- Develop an always-available, dynamic digital platform with the ability to do live scenario plans by skilled analysts in real time for senior management reviews, thereby reducing the time and effort needed for effective decision making
Lead & manage an integrated Business Operations Network
- Define consistency of practice where beneficial, while allowing the function to manage their specific business to meet their unique needs
- Support mRNA Program Lead with cross-business (functions and enabling functions) connectivity & integrated reporting to enable alignment and consistency of practice across the organization
- Remove the burden of operational activities (e.g., engaging functions such as procurement, etc.) from technical/scientific/TA-focused team members while retaining the appropriate accountability
Primary point of contact for cross mRNA business related issues, including tax audit, reporting, & information requests
- Gain line of site to requests and facilitate collaboration with local personnel across the global organization
- As needed, develop processes to manage requests and responses
- Coordinate tax-related activities through Business Operations Network, local site contacts, or both (as needed) to reduce duplication of effort and ensure the right staff members are involved
- Archive responses and reports for future reference, ensuring reusability of data and reporting
- Manage the demand for Board-directed audits, if required
Serve as a key partner to enabling functions
- Define roles & responsibilities between enabling functions business partners, PPM-BOSS and Functions / cost center managers
- In collaboration with mRNA leadership and enabling functions business partners, structure mRNA budget reviews, vendor oversight, reporting and governance to meet the business needs and enable oversight of the health of the mRNA Program
- Actively monitor trends and identify opportunities for cost savings, reallocations, efficiencies in data insights, vendor performance, interdependencies in vendor relationships, etc.
- Maintain clear line of sight to the total mRNA spend envelope, connecting with contributing functions in Seqirus and CSL with high collaboration with mRNA Finance, HR BP, Procurement and other enabling functions (e.g., Legal, Communications, I&T, Communications, Change Management, etc.)
Work with key business functions as it relates to executive reporting, business planning, mRNA governance and other needs, as required.
- Oversee contract management for consistent practice and visibility across the mRNA program (via mRNA Business Operations Network)
- In collaboration with mRNA Finance BP, HRBP and Procurement, define a process to manage budget, forecast, resource and vendor demands in areas of the business where the level of details are evolving
mRNA business performance metrics
With mRNA Program Lead and function heads, identify key performance indicators and metrics required to effectively manage highest priority deliverables and objectives
- Develop and drive performance metrics process support and analysis for consistent and reliable analytics to support robust and efficient decision-making, prioritization, etc.
- Evolve the performance analytics capability to also provide strategic insights (getting to - what the data tells us, what it means and recommending what to do);
- Manage, on behalf of mRNA Leadership, the annual objectives setting timeline, process and communication
- Develop a robust, repeatable and sustainable process to monitor and report against program objectives and overall health to drive consistent integrated and operational excellence in partnership with within function resources (e.g., ePMO, PPM-BOSS, etc.)
- Monitor, track, and analyze performance against expected progress and business objectives, and advance issues as appropriate
- Manage a library of presentations slides, reports, etc. on business performance with clear line of sight to access scientific and technical data, publications and other disclosures related to mRNA
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Science, Information Technology, Finance, Business, or a related field.
- An advanced degree Masters of Business Administration (MBA) or equivalent is a plus.
- 12+ years experience working in a R&D Business Management or Operations, Finance or Project Management within pharma or biotech environment is required.
- Finance and budget management experience including cost analysis and reporting
- Proven leadership experience and success with building & developing and working effectively within matrix global teams
- Ability to lead interactions with multiple stakeholder groups and interfaces – for example with Function Heads, R&D functions, Finance, across various aspects of the enterprise
- Experience with analytics and visualization software (e.g., PowerBI, Tableau), document management applications, portfolio planning tools, capacity management and financial systems