Scientist - Pivotal Attribute Sciences
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge youve worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.
Process Development Scientist - Pivotal Attribute Sciences
What you will do
Amgens Attribute Sciences (AS) department within the Process Development (PD) organization defines the favorable quality characteristics of the therapies it produces and optimizes state-of-the-art analytical tools to guide that development. The Pivotal PD organizations focus is developing and commercializing robust manufacturing processes across a wide range of therapeutic modalities, including (but not limited to) monoclonal and bispecific antibodies, bispecific T-cell engagers (BiTEs), live oncolytic viruses, and
synthetic medicines. Located in our Thousand Oaks, CA office, the PD Scientist will work supporting product characterization and method development for clinical candidate molecules in the pivotal stage of development.
- Identifying and characterizing attributes of therapeutic proteins and synthetic molecules using advanced analytical techniques
- Develop and apply novel sample preparation and analytical methods for analysis of therapeutic proteins and synthetic molecules with emphasis on chromatography and mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS)
- Assess a variety of quality attributes of therapeutic proteins with emphasis on chemical modifications including glycosylation, oxidation, deamidation, aspartate isomerization, hydroxylation and others
- Work in an analytical group equipped with a variety of chromatographic systems and mass spectrometry platforms
- Perform LC/MS analyses of therapeutic proteins using intact, reduced protein and peptide mapping, different chromatographic and electrophoretic techniques
- Communicate (verbal and in written) scientific concepts and results
- Follow protocols and procedures, maintain accurate records in an electronic lab notebook, and generate quality data for use in drug development and regulatory filings
- Work collaboratively with other scientists on multidisciplinary teams
- Work independently in advancing projects and studies within required deadlines.
- Actively create or contribute to patent and publications
- Keep current with field of expertise, participate and advance drug development, technologies and information services programs within Amgen
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The highly motivated professional we seek is a Scientist with these qualifications.
- Doctorate degree or Doctorate degree by December 2021 OR
- Masters degree and 4 years of pharmaceutical-biotechnology and/or CRO industry and/or Scientific experience OR
- Bachelors degree and 6 years of pharmaceutical-biotechnology and/or CRO industry and/or Scientific experience
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry with emphasis in mass spectrometry
- Must have a strong Mass Spectroscopy
- 2 or more years post-PhD experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry in process and product development and drug substance and drug product analytical method development.
- Documented theoretical knowledge and hand-on experience in peptide mapping of proteins, intact and reduced LC-MS analysis for identification and quantification of chemical modifications
- Training and experience of operating Thermo Q-Exactive mass spectrometers and Agilent and Waters HPLCs and UHPLCs
- Knowledge of statistical processing of data, including related software like Excel, Spotfire & JMP
- Knowledge of programming using R, Python, C++, or machine learning languages
- Demonstrated proficiency in solving complex problems, ability to work independently, proactively seek outside resources and collaborate, self-starter and team player with strong leadership and decision-making skills capable of providing mentorship to junior staff
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to multitask, effectively plan and follow through on complex projects
Some of the vast rewards of working here
- As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plancomprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefitswith compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.