Director, Senior Corporate Counsel
MaxCyte is a leading provider of cell-engineering platform technologies to advance innovative cell-based research, development, and commercialization of next- generation cell therapies. The company's existing customer base ranges from large biopharmaceutical companies — including 20 of the top 25 pharmaceutical companies based on 2020 global revenue — to hundreds of biotechnology companies and academic translational research centers. MaxCyte has granted 14 strategic platform licenses to commercial cell therapy developers that allow for more than 75 clinical programs. Founded in 1998, MaxCyte is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland, US.
Summary:MaxCyte is seeking an experienced attorney to work closely with partners across the company, overseeing and providing support for day-to-day legal questions and contract needs, especially complex strategic licenses with MaxCyte partners, and SEC filings. This individual will also be involved in preparation of materials for Board Committees and based on experience and inclination, provide support for Human Resources. Reporting to the General Counsel and Chief Administrative Officer, this will be a high-profile, high-growth position in a small legal department with significant exposure to all levels of the organization.
• Review, draft and negotiate all ordinary course contracts including licenses with strategic partners, NDAs, MTAs, services and collaborations and publication agreements.
• Provide support in the preparation and filing of all SEC filings, including periodic and current reports, proxy statements, Section 16 reports and confidential treatment requests.
• Respond promptly to requests for legal advice from the business teams supporting, summarizing and communicating legal concepts that business people can use.
• Advise on the legal issues and risks, sophisticated deal structures, approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP issues, negotiation strategy and other related issues.
• Provide due diligence and support in connection with business development transactions, including follow-on financings and collaboration, licensing, and acquisition transactions.
• Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, guidelines, contract templates and legal processes.
• Reinforce MaxCyte's culture of compliance by providing ongoing training, education, and overview to ensure that MaxCyte meets all applicable legal requirements.
• Assist in development and dissemination of policies involving licensing, intellectual property and related issues.
• Work with improving business applications to streamline workflow.
• Provide support on all other matters requested by the General Counsel or other members of the Legal Department.
• JD plus admission to practice law in one or more states.
• 6+ years of experience within a high-growth U.S. publicly traded biotech, pharmaceutical or technology company, or law firm equivalent.
• Substantive experience in the areas of contract drafting and negotiation, public company reporting and compliance, corporate governance, employment law, litigation, and/or privacy.
• Possess outstanding legal capabilities and judgment.
• Self-motivated, assertive, and self-confident with the ability to act with urgency and passion.
• Strong technical/analytical skills, combined with a hands-on and practical, business-oriented approach to identifying and solving business and legal problems.
• Entrepreneurial, enjoys working in a fast-paced, small-company environment.
• Proven ability to work with a high level of integrity, accuracy, and attention to detail.
• Strong organizational skills to maintain a high level of productivity, innovation, and priority-setting to complete work on-time and on-budget.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills for effectively interfacing with all levels of the organization.
• Resourceful, creative, enthusiastic, and results oriented.
MaxCyte, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter . Please reference Corporate Counsel in the subject line.