Scientist II (TEMPORARY)
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join the Technical Operations Department at AbbVie Biotechnology located in Barceloneta, Puerto Rico. Our group is responsible for the optimization, validation, implementation, continuous improvement, and global technical support for the commercial manufacturing of therapeutic proteins. The candidate is expected to independently investigate, identify, develop and optimize new methods/ techniques to address critical project needs. Continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and commercial drug substance processes. Read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments. Demonstrate mastery of a broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Independently design, execute and interpret critical experiments to answer scientific questions. Understand the broad objectives of the project as well as their role in achieving those objectives, and modify the experimental plan when required, to respond.
- Learn, understand and master biologics drug substance process and new experimental techniques, and act as a resource or mentor for others.
- Participate in process validation projects; contribute to writing process validation protocols, reports and investigations.
- Quickly respond to out-of-trend data, manufacturing excursions, and events.
- Work cross-functionally to solve problems and optimize manufacturing processes.
- Learn and understand the equipment, assays, and test methods for in-process controls and in-process samples.
- Learn and work with business technology systems including SAP, PI and LIMS for data collection.
- Innovate and implement a new process or experimental protocols.
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in his/her field.
- Set and meet project or experimental timelines.
- Effectively organize and present scientific or validation plans and data.
- Contribute to writing and conceptual framework of publications, presentations, and patents.
- Routinely read and apply relevant scientific literature.
- BS or equivalent education with typically 7 or more years of experience or MS or equivalent education with typically 5 or more years of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design, execute and interpret critical experiments to answer scientific questions.
- Demonstrated ability to learn, understand and master new experimental techniques.
- Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Temporary Assignment for approximately 12 months.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous standing for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.