Temporary Research Associate
Viridos (formerly Synthetic Genomics, Inc) is a privately held biotechnology company harnessing the power of photosynthesis to create transformative solutions to mitigate climate change. Our unparalleled understanding of algal genetics and ability to translate innovation from lab to field underpins our initial deployment: a scalable platform to produce low-carbon intensity biofuels for aviation, commercial trucking, and maritime shipping. Building on a legacy of genomic firsts, our team of scientists and engineers are shaping new pathways toward a sustainable bioeconomy. We are currently looking to add a Temporary Research Associate to our team in La Jolla, CA.
The Temporary Research Associate will report to a senior scientist and focus on the research and development of algal production system which will mitigate climate change though reductions in US greenhouse gas emissions. The successful candidate will support development of genetic tools and strain engineering efforts to achieve performance deliverables leading to commercially viable algal host strains. Candidates should have practical knowledge of molecular biology, strain engineering, and/or microbial physiology. Knowledge of phycology a plus.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Genetic manipulation of algal host strains in collaboration with other project members
- Small scale cultivation of strains including media preparation and culture maintenance
- Practical working knowledge of modern techniques in synthetic biology, including DNA assembly, nucleic acid manipulation, cloning, DNA sequencing, and PCR
- Generate detailed and complete notebook and communicate data to group in written and oral reports
- Interact effectively within a fast-paced multidisciplinary team
- Requires a Bachelors or Masters degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology or a related field with a minimum of 2 years of experience in industry or an academic lab.
- Basic molecular biology techniques (PCR, SDS-page, molecular cloning, sequencing, RNA isolation, Western Blotting, etc)
- Proven ability to budget time and manage several distinct projects at once
- Eagerness to develop, learn and adapt new tools and methods
- Experience working with both industrial and/or non-traditional strains is preferred
- Good sterile technique is a must