Senior Data Analyst
About the Role
Freenome is looking for a Senior Data Analyst who will be responsible for building data-driven solutions to challenges in multiomic biomarker discovery projects related to preanalytical variables. In this role, you will work closely with Data Scientists, Computational Biologists, and Molecular Research Scientists to identify, quantify, and mitigate the impact of preanalytical variables (e.g., biospecimen shipping, storage, and processing) on multiomic datasets generated from patient samples, thereby enabling the identification of clinically relevant novel biomarkers for early cancer detection. You will interface with stakeholders across the clinical and research organizations to plan and design discovery and validation experiments. You will be responsible for improving and maintaining data pipelines that are critical for clinical lab operation and preanalytical data processing. You will also be responsible for building reports to help scientists to understand experimental data and to gain insights into our biospecimen inventory.
How you’ll contribute:
- Explore and extract insights from structured and unstructured data collected during preanalytical steps to improve sample handling practices.
- Improve and maintain data pipelines to process preanalytical data for machine learning applications.
- Improve and maintain the batching pipeline to Identify and model patient metadata, with applications in biomarker study design and execution.
- Perform statistical tests to identify potential confounders in patient selection processes.
- Work closely with laboratory scientists to analyze multiomics datasets from large patient cohorts.
- Create dashboards and presentations to effectively communicate detailed findings to diverse audiences.
What you’ll bring:
- BS in a relevant, quantitative field such as applied math, statistics, or data science (or equivalent industry experience).
- 1 year or more of relevant work experience.
- Track record of applying data science principles and methods to real-world problems, as demonstrated through publications or industry experience.
- A passion for innovation and tackling new areas of research.
- Strong technical abilities in data models, database queries (i.e., SQL), data segmentation techniques, and applying ETL frameworks.
- Ability to program in a scientific programming language (e.g., Python or R), work in a Linux server-based environment, and perform appropriate statistical analyses.
- Strong communication skills
- Working experience with git version control and business intelligence tools such as Tableau
- Biological background preferred
- Valuable supplementary qualifications include: Expertise in relevant biological fields, such as genomics, proteomics, immunology, or cancer biology. Experience working with preanalytical (e.g., sample metadata) or analytical (e.g., mass spectrometry) data from clinical samples.
Freenome has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, our employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, and ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection and integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care and science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis and Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, and immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods and applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures, including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, and 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets and modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, and aging. The synthesis of Freenome’s datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, and audacious mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection and early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, and trust in one another, and we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues and those we serve. We assume positive intent and give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering and supporting each other in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, and execute their own goals with ownership and alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, trust, and holding themselves and their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study and believe that hiring and mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome and provide constructive feedback and criticism, trusting in others’ good intentions, and being secure in knowing that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn and grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, and want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, there’s no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.