Scientist - Biochemistry of Protein Degradation
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge youve worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.
Scientist - Biochemistry of Protein DegradationLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this vital role you will be a part of our Biochemistry and Structural Biology (BSB) group. We are seeking an accomplished Scientist to contribute to the Induced-Proximity Platform (IPP) organization tasked with the discovery of novel therapeutics in the Targeted Protein Degradation field.
The BSB group is focused on enhancing our understanding of the biochemistry of ubiquitin ligases and other related enzymes involved in cellular protein degradation. These efforts including the discovery of Proteolysis Targeting Chimeras (PROTACs) and Molecular Glues to advance Amgens drug discovery pipeline of intractable and difficult-to-drug therapeutic targets.
This role offers an enormous opportunity to conduct cutting-edge drug discovery research within a growing and science-driven organization. This is a unique opportunity for those who are interested in conducting basic research in the targeted protein degradation field while directly impacting therapeutic discovery programs at a world-class organization.
The candidate will work collaboratively with researchers across multiple functions within the IPP department as well as across disease therapeutic areas and the Therapeutics Discovery organization. The successful candidate will also work with external partners and contract research organizations (CROs) and have the opportunity to present work at national and international conferences.Key Responsibilities
- Participate in the planning, design, execution, and documentation of laboratory studies related to the studying of protein complexes involved in protein degradation.
- Design of DNA constructs and the use of rational and computational tools for the engineering of protein constructs to ensure successful protein expression, purification and structural determination.
- Perform expression, purification, and characterization of recombinant proteins to support various aspects of drug discovery efforts related to Targeted Protein Degradation.
- Perform biochemical, biophysical and structural characterization of protein complexes.
- Study protein-protein interactions.
- Collaborate within and across interdisciplinary teams to advance our understanding of Targeted Protein Degradation mechanisms.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Scientific professional we seek is an ambitious leader with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications
- PhD in Biochemistry, Protein Chemistry, Structural Biology, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- Demonstrated scientific reasoning, data analysis and problem-solving skills as evidenced by high impact scientific publications.
- Highly motivated and team player in a cross-functional and fast-paced environment.
- Work independently to plan, manage, and conduct experiments.
- Ability to develop deep understanding of projects.
- Strong understanding of basic protein biochemistry and biophysics principles, including those pertaining to protein complex formation and protein transient interactions.
- 2 years of postdoctoral or industry experience.
- Prior experience with the purification and the biochemical and/or biophysical characterization of challenging proteins and protein complexes.
- Expert user of FPLC (AKTA PURE or Avant) and HPLC systems (Waters or Agilent).
- Strong knowledge of protein analytical techniques to study macromolecules including SEC, SEC-MALS, DLS, thermal shift assay and LC-MS.
- Experience in protein expression in E.coli and insect cells.
- Practical knowledge of techniques to investigate protein interactions such as HDX, XL-MS, SPR and SAXS. Practical experience in structural biology including crystallography and cryoEM as demonstrated by solving molecular structures of protein complexes.
- Familiarity with protein modeling and design tools such as MOE, Rosetta or Schrdinger.
- Familiarity with statistical data analysis tools such as JMP and R.
- Knowledge of protein degradation mechanisms and in particular the biochemistry of ubiquitin ligases.
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plancomprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefitswith compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.Amgen requires all staff in the United States and Puerto Rico to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.