Vice President, Legal and Business Transactions
Title: Vice President, Legal and Business Transactions
Reports To: Chief Legal Officer
Location: Redwood City, California
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, the Vice President, Legal and Business Transactions position will be responsible for working with Corporate and Business Development on all business opportunities, deals and inlicensing activities. The Vice President, Legal and Business Transactions is responsible for drafting, reviewing, negotiatiating, and amending as necessary, a wide range of contracts in support of Business and Corporate Development which may include: deal terms, in-licensing agreements, confidentiality agreements, collaboration agreements, consulting agreements, and various vendor services agreements and master agreements.
The Vice President, Legal and Business Transactions will provide legal counsel and support to enable strategic business transactions, collaborations, other complex contracts, and related matters. In addition, this position will be an important member of the Legal Leadership Team, as well as the lead Legal representative on the Business Strategy committee that determines our business development strategy and transaction priorities.
- Counsel clients in business development and other areas of the company on the legal implications of transaction initiatives and strategies, with a focus on inbound and outbound licensing and collaboration agreements, strategic alliances, joint ventures, development agreements and mergers and acquisitions.
- Lead and counsel the company on all strategic business transactions by overseeing legal due diligence, devising and advising on transaction structures and business terms, assisting with the preparation of term sheets, and ensuring the preparation and final negotiation of deal documents.
- Support alliance management in launching collaborations and integration efforts. Advise on contract interpretation issues and work with alliance management on maintenance and performance of existing partnerships and other commercial arrangements.
- Support external innovations team with routine contracting matters and strategic advice.
- Work with Corporate and Business Development for license opportunities and evaluate those opportunities based on the strength of the licensee, the quality of products, and the appropriateness to the Coherus BioSciences intellectual property and product portfolio.
- Negotiate, on the company’s behalf, the most attractive licensing deals possible relative to the property profile and product category.
- Coordinate cross-functional legal input by working closely with intellectual property and securities attorneys and other subject matter experts in the legal department when their knowledge and expertise is required.
- Manage and direct outside law firms as needed.
Background and Skills Required:
The ideal candidate must be an experienced attorney with the legal background in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry, with excellent business judgment and interpersonal skills sufficient to function successfully as a senior lawyer in the legal department and a senior leader in the Company. The following background is strongly preferred:
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed to practice law in a US state or DC.
- A minimum of fifteen years of legal experience with a combination of experience as a practicing lawyer with a well-regarded law firm and experience providing advice to a pharmaceutical, biotechnology or medical device company in a senior legal position.
- Proven track record and demonstrated experience managing and negotiating transactions including licencing opportunities, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, joint development agreements and strategic alliances.
- Strong legal drafting skills.
- Experience directing strategy and managing complex scenarios.
- Experience identifying outside law firms and managing outside counsel in a cost-effective manner.
- Team player with excellent judgment and interpersonal skills.
- Superior leadership and managerial skills.
- Ability to work and manage teams under aggressive timelines and budgets.
- Outstanding written and oral skills with strong attention to detail.
- Administratively self-sufficient with demonstrated skill using Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Beginning July 19, 2021, Coherus BioSciences requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Coherus BioSciences, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Coherus BioSciences facility or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.