Associate Scientist / Senior Research Associate, Molecular Engineering
Fate Therapeutics is seeking a talented and highly motivated individual skilled in molecular biology that will be a key member of the Molecular Engineering team. The primary functions of this role will include DNA and RNA extraction, traditional PCR, gel electrophoresis, qPCR, and droplet digital PCR. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience with probe-based qPCR and a strong conceptual understanding of molecular biology and genetics. This position will require adherence to tight deadlines, strong independent and collaborative research and project management abilities, a high level of organization, and the ability to communicate effectively across multidisciplinary teams. This is a full-time hands-on research position that reports to a Scientist in the Molecular Engineering group and is located at the Companys corporate headquarters in San Diego, California.
- Successful design, optimization, and execution of molecular laboratory biology processes, including, but not limited to: o Traditional PCR, qPCR, RT-qPCR, and ddPCR o Analysis of Sanger sequencing results o DNA and RNA extraction o Nucleic acid quantification and qualification via QuBit, NanoDrop, and TapeStation
- Support/lead discovery development and execution for new molecular based assays under general guidance from direct supervisor
- Opportunities to mentor junior Research Associates
- Assist with Quality Assurance related work by initiating and processing document changes through Fates electronic document management system
- Providing support in document review, data entry, and data analysis
- Document experimental progress in laboratory notebooks
- B.S/M.S. in molecular biology or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of laboratory experience. Industry experience preferred.
- 3+ years of demonstrated hands-on experience of molecular biology techniques (e.g., DNA and RNA isolation and quantification, traditional PCR, gel electrophoresis, qPCR, and restriction digests).
- Expertise with qPCR is required; experience with droplet-digital PCR is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with document management system software is strongly preferred.
- Experience in working with cGMP compliant/quality-controlled procedures is a plus.
- Comfortable in conducting and troubleshooting experiments with the ability to analyze results.
- Ability to perform experiments in a high-throughput manner using a 96-well format is a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills with record keeping abilities.
- Demonstrated success in working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced small company environment and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Will require working with blood and cell lines of human and animal origin
- Will require working with hazardous materials
- 100% on-site work at corporate headquarters in San Diego, CA
- Occasional evening and weekend work will be required
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. Additional and incidental duties related to the primary duties may be required.
About Fate Therapeutics, Inc.
Fate Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the development of first-in-class cellular immunotherapies for patients with cancer. The Company has established a leadership position in the clinical development and manufacture of universal, off-the-shelf cell products using its proprietary induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) product platform. The Company’s immuno-oncology pipeline includes off-the-shelf, iPSC-derived natural killer (NK) cell and T-cell product candidates, which are designed to synergize with well-established cancer therapies, including immune checkpoint inhibitors and monoclonal antibodies, and to target tumor-associated antigens using chimeric antigen receptors (CARs). Fate Therapeutics is headquartered in San Diego, CA. For more information, please visit www.fatetherapeutics.com.