Senior Database Administrator
Medical Science & Computing, (MSC), a Dovel Company, is seeking a skilled Senior Database Administrator to join our team supporting our client at the National Institutes of Health, (NIH).
This position is immediately available remotely, but post-pandemic will required to be onsite in Bethesda, MD (when it is safe to return to campus).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Install, configure, administer and patch -- on-premises, Amazon RDS, PostgreSQL and MySQL.
- Implement database backup and recovery strategy.
- Maintain data integrity and database performance, stability and scalability.
- Proactivity monitor the health of databases and make recommendations to optimize performance and efficiency.
- Diagnose and resolve database, network, and firewall issues.
- Collaborate with various teams in developing system hardware layouts, configuring firewall rules, tuning, and load testing of mission-critical database systems.
- Comply with database security standards.
- Document database administration and management related processes and procedures.
- Provide support to the application developers, including, but not limited to data refresh, SQL and PL/pgSQL performance tuning and best practice recommendations.
- Conduct code reviews with application developers.
- Automate database administration and maintenance activities.
- Assist with routine Oracle database administration tasks.
- 5+ years of extensive experience as a Production PostgreSQL DBA.
- 2+ years of experience with MySQL.
- 3+ years of AWS RDS management experience.
- Proficient in relational database management system and principles, network and database security.
- Advanced understanding of database backup and recovery strategies.
- Advanced understanding of high availability solutions and strategies.
- Proficient with SQL and performance tuning.
- Strong scripting language experience (any shell scripting).
- Fluent in Linux command line utilities and operations.
- Ability to pay meticulous attention to detail.
- Self-driven and ability to meet goals and deadlines.
- Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure in a fast paced work environment.
- Ability to work directly with cross-functional teams to resolve application issues.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- 24x7 on-call experience (selected candidate must be willing to be on call for a week once a month)
- Must be available for after hours and weekend work (as needed).
- Preferred experience with Oracle.
Due to our contractual requirements, to be eligible for this role, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at time of hire.Company Description
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.