Scientific Associate II / Scientist I (Downstream Purification)
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
Candidate will support TD downstream projects including developing, defining, and implementing purification processes, driving continuous improvements, and providing commercial support for influenza vaccines.
- Partner with diverse team members from various functions, countries and members at various levels in the organization.
- Solve complex problems using analytical thinking gained through formal education and/or previous roles.
- Independently operate lab-scale bioprocess equipment including TFF, NFF, centrifugation, and column chromatography systems.
- Both independently and collaboratively design and execute small scale experiments to characterize and define bioprocess steps.
- Independently develop, troubleshoot, and scale up bioprocess purification unit operations.
- Provides on-going support on projects of varying size, often under tight deadlines, including guidance to others as needed, applying knowledge of broader project objectives to provide input that further project success.
- As needed, perform in-process analytics to characterize/quantify vaccine antigens and contaminants.
- Understand and interpret experimental data and results to support decisions and definition / knowledge of purification processes.
- Understand and apply bioprocess scale-up principles and strategies.
- Prepare technology development study protocols and reports in support of process development, transfer, and regulatory documents.
- Serve as an interface between TD and MS&T/Ops and represent TD department in cross-functional collaborations/forums to support manufacturing, as needed.
- Communicate (present, write-up in technical documents, etc.) results to colleagues, project teams, and management.
- Be accountable for developing own self to enhance contribution.
- Function effectively as a core team member.
- Bachelor’s or postgraduate degree in related scientific or engineering field required.
- Minimum of 3 years laboratory experience with training in related scientific or engineering field.
- Knowledge of / experience in protein biochemistry and separation sciences is required
- Knowledge/experience specific to downstream/purification process development for tech transfer and implementation in a GMP environment is preferred
- Experience with GE AKTA chromatography systems/Unicorn software and lab/pilot scale TFF systems is desired
- In depth knowledge of bioprocess unit operations (e.g. bioreactors, chromatography, centrifugation, precipitation, TFF and NFF filtration) and engineering scaling principles is desired
- Experience in application / analysis of Design of Experiments (DOE) and other statistical techniques is preferred
- Process tech transfer experience and vaccine development experience are preferred
- Knowledge of / experience in analytical methods (e.g. BCA, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, HPLC, ELISA) is a plus
- Strong communication skills, technical writing ability, and attention to detail is required
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams is required
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work with minimal supervision
- Leadership experience and ability to direct others is a plus