Senior Intellectual Property Counsel
PACT Pharma is an exciting, well-funded clinical-stage company developing personalized adoptive T cell therapies for the eradication of solid tumors. Our private designer T cells are created by analyzing a patient’s individual tumor and engineering T cells to kill that specific tumor.
If you desire a stimulating fast-paced environment and working with intelligent people who are making an impact in cancer, you will want to join the PACT Pharma team. We are a diverse work family with a dynamic and earnest culture. We are an innovative and collaborative workforce working towards one main goal - eradicating cancer!
We are located in the San Francisco bay area. PACT Pharma offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including participation in the aggressive growth of the company in the form of stock option grants.
We are currently seeking an Intellectual Property Counsel / Senior Intellectual Property Counsel who will report to our Chief Legal & Business Strategy Officer and who will lead the company’s intellectual property strategy. The position will require working closely with PACT Pharma’s research, development, manufacturing, and clinical teams on intellectual property and contract matters. The individual should be able to independently identify and manage intellectual property and other legal issues potentially impacting the business and provide legal strategy to promote the success of the company. The individual will work on cross-functional teams and will collaborate with people throughout the company, including the senior management and executive teams.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and implement IP strategy, as well as policies and procedures to ensure the protection of the company’s intellectual property.
- Work closely with research and development personnel to identify patentable inventions, participate in invention disclosure assessments and provide guidance regarding the patentability of inventions under review.
- Develop and manage strategic patent portfolios including drafting and prosecuting patent applications worldwide in a diverse and growing technological field to create an intellectual property portfolio aligned with the strategy of the company.
- Conduct due diligence (including freedom-to-operate, infringement, and validity analyses).
- Monitor and analyze competitive intellectual property and advise senior management and the executive team on the implications of such rights.
- Educate internal personnel on relevant IP laws and related business issues.
- Manage all trademarks.
- Draft and review contracts and advise on various transactional matters (e.g. non-disclosure agreements, materials transfer agreements, licensing agreements, and collaborations).
- Effectively manage external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators.
- J.D. degree and admission before a State bar or fully qualified legal credentials in California
- Relevant life sciences degree, preferably a PhD
- At least 6 years of intellectual property experience in the life sciences industry as in-house patent counsel and/or in a nationally recognized law firm with at least 3 years of drafting and negotiating contracts
- Significant patent drafting and prosecution experience required
- Registered as an attorney before the USPTO
- Strong patent database searching skills are desirable
- Significant agreement and transactional experience required
- Ability to work well with all levels of management and staff
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work with others to resolve conflict in order to meet objectives
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously while remaining flexible and prioritizing responsibilities
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
PACT Pharma is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strives to build a diverse and inclusive team. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.