Sr. Director or Executive Director, Search & Evaluation
Turning Point Therapeutics is a clinical-stage precision oncology company with a pipeline of internally discovered investigational drugs designed to address key limitations of existing cancer therapies. Turning Point’s next-generation kinase inhibitors are designed to bind to their targets with greater precision and affinity than existing therapies, with a novel, compact structure that has demonstrated an ability to potentially overcome treatment resistance common with other kinase inhibitors.
The primary responsibilities consist of identifying and assessing innovative therapeutic assets and/or platform technologies, leading scientific cross-functional teams to evaluate and perform due diligence, maintaining a robust portfolio of potential partnering opportunities, building effective coalitions across various functions and working with the deal teams to negotiate and execute transactions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify, screen, evaluate, and execute business development opportunities in oncology from biotech companies, universities and pharma companies with a focus on cutting-edge science. Such opportunities can range from preclinical through pre-proof of concept in humans and various modalities to enhance and expand our company's pipeline.
- Work independently and in close collaboration with company’s R&D and commercial leadership stakeholders across therapeutic areas and functions to review, assess and advocate new and innovative partnering opportunities based on differentiated science.
- Lead cross-functional scientific due diligence teams.
- Actively solicit and integrate internal subject matter expert input to build strategic rationale and internal support for business development opportunities.
- Prepare appropriate materials for presentation of partnering opportunities to our company's senior leadership for approval.
- Ensure efficient communication and seamless cross-functional collaboration throughout the deal process.
- Manage active portfolio of business development projects, serving as the primary scientific contact, working closely with other search and evaluation colleagues across Business Development to ensure comprehensive coverage of the relevant opportunity space and assessment of the best assets in a given space.
- Ensure timely consideration of all business development opportunities with open and prompt communication with potential partners.
- Ensure relevant deals of highest priority are being advanced and executed.
- Serve on deal team and collaborate with scientific stakeholders, alliance management, intellectual property and legal counsel to support negotiation and completion of licensing deals, collaborations, acquisitions and strategic alliances.
- Monitor competitive intelligence by keeping up to date on market trends, competitors, and opportunities.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. or MD required
- MBA or equivalent business/financial experience a plus
- 12+ years of experience in business development, alliance management, and/or drug development
- Extensive previous leadership experiences in matrixed team environment
- A deep understanding of the drug discovery and development process, as well as broad experience in new innovations and technologies applied in oncology.
- A proven track record of structuring, negotiating, and closing complex collaborations with international corporations and academic institutions.
- Ability to work effectively within a fast-paced entrepreneurial company environment and become rapidly conversant with the company’s technology platform and products.
- Proficient planning and organizational skills and an ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Strong communication and influence skills and the ability to produce presentations of the highest quality, prepared, reviewed, and approved as appropriate.
- Self-motivated and independent with strong team player capabilities.
- Available to travel domestically and internationally.