Sr Manager, R&D Business Operations
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
The Sr Manager of Business Operations is an integral member of the R&D Business Operations team within PPM - Business Operations, Shared Services; responsible for providing financial and resource information, business guidance and coordination to support all functions within the Research and Development (R&D) organization that will allow it to operate effectively. The incumbent will support and conduct daily activities associated with:
- Lead the budget and forecast creation and management
- Develop trial and project financial scenarios as well as support Financial Business Case development
- Partner with Program Managers as business lead for assigned programs
- Manage the outsourcing for Clinical trials as well as any other R&D outsourcing requests
- Provide oversight of R&D Purchase Orders in SAP
- Analyze and report on R&D operational and fiscal performance
Budget and Resource Management – Work with Director to 0perationalize short-term and long-term strategies to improve efficiencies and enhance predictability in resource management and global budgeting approaches through collaboration with R&D Functions, Project Management and Finance leadership:
- Drive the execution of the budget (and forecast) development to ensure timely, predictable and accurate budgets are developed consistently across assigned R&D program(s) and global departments.
- Lead the collection of data for the review and accuracy of global R&D budgets (spend and internal resource demand) prior to submission to Finance for budget and forecasting cycles.
- Support the process for demand planning of internal resources, including tracking, forecasting and ensuring efficient utilization of such resources and that they are adequately captured in CD budgets and forecasts
- Coordinate with R&D Finance for monthly financial reporting
- Primary business-lead for programs and trials; coordinate with PPM for program reviews and governance meetings
R&D Outsourcing - Business Operations leads the effective planning and contracting of external resources. The Sr Manager will:
- Drive the development of global program budgets in vendor contract, through the effective translation of trial and project design(s) into detailed budget(s).
- Drive facilitation with key stakeholders to ensure that the required elements of a program have been incorporated into the program budget.
- Perform review/analysis of bid grids from vendors to generate recommendations on contracting approach and negotiation elements
- Coordinate with Procurement, Legal, and respective function throughout outsourcing process to ensure Seqirus needs are met for effective outsourcing and performance of vendor
Manage Purchase Orders - PO’s are a critical link between cash and forecasting; the Sr Manager is the primary responsible person for managing the PO’s to ensure they correctly align to contracts, forecasts, and work performed by vendor.
- Provide guidance to Business Operations Analysts
- Monitor the value of purchase orders relative to vendor contracts.
- Assess cash burn-rate for outsourced work relative to PO and manage under-/over-run accordingly
Ad Hoc Projects – The Sr Manager will provide support, and may independently complete, ad hoc projects. Ad hoc projects in Business Operations typically target two main categories: Improvement projects and Analysis projects. At any point during the fiscal year Business Operations has 3-4 ad hoc projects underway and the Sr Manager will participate in either a support or lead role.Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree from an accredited school or university; preferably with a MBA, or complementary experience in the pharmaceutical/ biotechnology industry.
- 8-10+ years experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry or CRO environment
- Proficiency or adaptability to highly matrixed organizations.
- Experience with clinical trial and R&D budgets
- Strong presentation skills a plus
- SAP experience a plus
- Ability to establish credible relationships within Seqirus and externally
- Effective delivery of objectives in a complex matrix environment
- Ability to deal with rapid change
- Strong verbal & written communication skills in a cross functional environment
- Proactive commercial awareness with application to R&D strategies